Starting with Live News

DuncReid

Question

I was thinking of popping round to where the Labour Conference is happening at the moment to see what I could grab. Of course there's lots of photographers going to be around but it's my city so I might get a chance of an interesting shot around the periphery, lots of little workshops going on.

So thought I'd apply for Live News but I see this...

Please upload a recent PDF of a news clipping showing your published work (maximum size 1MB)

On the application.

So it's a bit chicken & egg! I've sold images but but not to news publications in that sense. So how best to get this 'proof of experience'? Where should I look for publishing opportunities?

Cheers-

4 answers to this question

Some thoughts of the top of my head, some are contradictory!

1. Talk to the live news team.

2. Lots of edgy security at the moment.  Bad actors will also be looking for a "shot around the periphery", If you don't know what you're doing stay away.

3. Yes it's chicken and egg getting into news. 

4. Start on something easier. Rainy day with umbrellas blown inside out is achievable and will be welcomed by Live news. Watch the papers.

• Thanks 1

What some people have done for Live News is email/call the live news people, explaining what the event is going to be, ask if they have any interest.   If so, they will open Live News to you temporarily.  I haven't tried this myself. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

What some people have done for Live News is email/call the live news people, explaining what the event is going to be, ask if they have any interest.   If so, they will open Live News to you temporarily.  I haven't tried this myself. 

That's what I did, more or less - though I got in touch after the event (Thatcher funeral). But that was 10 years ago - Live News has changed a lot since then. 

• Like 1