A Lightroom Problem

Yes, I will be calling Adobe . . . when I have an open-time period. 

I bought LR3 on DVD in a store. I then updated to LR4 online and then updated to LR5 online. More recently, I did an update to LR5.3. Everything was working fine until the other day when I tried to open LR5.3 and I got a message that said, "This Release Candidate version of LR has expired. To obtain most recent update please click below." The choices to click were Quit or Download. 

I downloaded once, which took 31 minutes (as far as I could see the download was 5.3, the same as what I had on my iMac). After the download I tried to open LR and got the same message.

In digital speak, what does "Release Candidate version" mean? Any other thoughts?

Thank you,

Ed 

Release Candidates (and Beta) are final user test version so usually have a limited life because they are replaced by the definitive release so RC5.3 will be released by a "proper" release of 5.3 with some of the issues raised during the RC test phase fixed. There should be a live version of 5.3 if RC5.3 has expired - as a former software development manager I tend to be very wary of using beta or RC for live work.

Beta particularly can have embedded testing code (to log issues) so may not be as fast as the live version. RC shouldn't but you never know with software engineers ;)

Are you sure you did not pick up the RC download again either from your own machine(doesn't sound likely) or inadvertently re-downloaded RC from Adobe? Or it could be an Adobe install issue or a problem with the registry (or whatever it is called on Mac). Have a search of the Adobe LR forums, I have found them useful in the past. If it is an install issue other people will have met it.

Im pretty sure you downloaded the wrong file (or used the wrong installer once downloaded).

You need the file: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom&promoid&promoid=DTEML

Well thats the uk version (I think).

make sure you delete your old installer before using...

Also you will need to log into Your Account to retrieve your serial number.. (Unless you have a record of it elsewhere).

Thanks, folks. Where all this first went wrong is anyone's guess. I think I'll slow down to a tai chi pace, talk to Adobe first, than download from their site. Using the link they provided did not work. 

Okay, everything is updated and running fine. And I didn't have to call Adobe after all. I can't totally reconstruct what I did or didn't back when, but I figure I'm at least partly to blame and did one or two small things wrong. Hell, I'm probably entirely to blame and did everything wrong.   :unsure:

Thank you again, Martin, Julie and Gervais. The Alamy forum system works! You people are very supportive and helpful.  I'd like to stand you all a pint, but a green ticket will have to do.   :)

I switched my OS from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion around Christmas and it wound up taking over 4 days to get everything working again. You can make a lot of mistakes doing a clean install and moving stuff from one internal drive to a stick or external drives. Nearly drove me mad. Or at least quite cross.

I switched my OS from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion around Christmas and it wound up taking over 4 days to get everything working again. You can make a lot of mistakes doing a clean install and moving stuff from one internal drive to a stick or external drives. Nearly drove me mad. Or at least quite cross.

I did the same upgrade you did 6 months ago and I am still having issues.SO many things stopped working it's really been frustrating.

I did a clean install as well.

Glad you got it ironed out in 4 days!

That weather in the USA. Can't believe what I'm seeing. What on earth is a Polar Vortex. Did they just make that up?  :lol:

Yes Linda. Stay indoors.

4 full days too on that Linda. All day long for 4 days. :wacko:  Had to do it because I had music deadlines to fulfil this month. And this is all because the new Haswell chipped iMacs don't work with external audio interfaces. At least when I finished going ML on the old Mac I could get Lightroom 5. But I haven't taken any photos! Hahah!

Archived