photographically, all structures are the same...?

photographing an historic cathedral may be momentarily more
interesting than photographing, say, a gas-petrol station
but both involve composition, lighting, decisive moment, etc.
restaurant snappers, hold your bloody heads high...
historic building elitists, you'll never understand what you've missed...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 2

Theoretically, yes. But in practice I can't seem to stop myself wanting to take more photos, from more angles, of architecturally interesting or significant buildings.

Alan

6 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Theoretically, yes. But in practice I can't seem to stop myself wanting to take more photos, from more angles, of architecturally interesting or significant buildings.

Alan

I may view a building and decide on 2 shots that show it for what it is,  and then possibly take more from different angles. Then when I have internet access, look to see if it exists on Alamy and if my shots are different or better. If no better or simply duplicates I'll go no further unless they include interesting people. Then only edit and upload one or two.

Edited by sb photos
remove erroneous character

I personally think that when we photograph we think about the technique and composition of the photograph, then I think about the following:
Will it sell?
But generally we try to take the best possible photo within technique and composition.
I don't take many photos of stores, malls, commerce in general, I go more towards architectural photography, so my sales are very low at Alamy

8 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Alan

For sure. I'm something of an architectural elitist myself. However, I find that it can be challenging and satisfying to come up with a decent image of a mundane building. Also, many architecturally interesting structures have been photographed to death. For some reason the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal come to mind, although I guess you can the same thing about Walmart. 😁

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Also, many architecturally interesting structures have been photographed to death. For some reason the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal come to mind,

I've photographed buildings that I consider architecturally significant, of which I have the only photos on Alamy.

Alan

• Like 1