rethinking / going from extreme tagging to moderate

7 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Previous testing has shown that if a customer search uses 2 words, images with those 2 words in single tag (i.e. a phrase) appear higher in search results than those with the each word in a separate tags. The effect can be dramatic. I should perhaps be careful about using the word "current" as Alamy can and do change the search algorithm from time to time. But it's easy to test.

So, with 350 Million images in competition the "game" is trying to think of 2 word (or even 3 word) phases the customer might use, so that my image appears on Page 1, (but AoA can help with that). Is it really worth the time and effort versus uploading more images instead? Who knows? But then that's the topic of this thread... 

Mark

I found that out recently when an exact phrase I had was used to search. An old image I’m sure that was buried in the nether pages. What’s cool is that when the big changeover Alamy made that made a mess of tags, I went through 5000 images & fixed them. This image dated back as one I fixed, getting rid of a lot of useless tags & adding some phrases.

Not a world-shaking thing, but interesting.

Its also interesting to review your oldest images & see how much better you are with tagging now compared to then. It’s possible those old images have sunk to the bottom partly for bad tagging.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Previous testing has shown that if a customer search uses 2 words, images with those 2 words in single tag (i.e. a phrase) appear higher in search results than those with the each word in a separate tags. The effect can be dramatic. I should perhaps be careful about using the word "current" as Alamy can and do change the search algorithm from time to time. But it's easy to test.

So, with 350 Million images in competition the "game" is trying to think of 2 word (or even 3 word) phases the customer might use, so that my image appears on Page 1, (but AoA can help with that). Is it really worth the time and effort versus uploading more images instead? Who knows? But then that's the topic of this thread... 

Mark

Thanks Mark. 

On 27/06/2023 at 08:09, geogphotos said:

...completely rethink your approach to metadata 

thanks, but my issue is degree of tagging, not tool hindrances;
I use Adobe Bridge, (Word, & Excel doc merging -- Alamy only);
My Word doc has ~47 synonym clusters of my often used tags;

a rough example of cutting back:

before, if I typed: "grocery store" I later pasted long phrase:

"store stores business businesses shop shops,merchant merchants,market markets marketplace,selling buying,shopping shopper shoppers economy,

grocery groceries,store stores supermarket,aisle food market marketplace,business businesses,"

now for Alamy I will type "grocery store supermarket" & add no cluster...

yes, I may lose licenses

but believe I will gain much more by not spending time going thru

images to find where those 47 different tag clusters need to be added,

using that time to much more quickly upload new Alamy images with

just primary tagging...

(doing 47 different tag clusters on 2K+ keepers takes weeks!!)

but if I ever have extra time & no new images to do, I can find-replace

primary tags with long phrase tags via Excel WITHOUT having to group
images in advance...

the issue with Other Place was I started mistakenly burdening
them with my 47 tagging clusters, too.  That's been ironed out...

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

On 26/06/2023 at 04:31, Steve F said:

My keywording on a recent shot of terraced housing which licensed. Pretty sure it didn't sell for the location.

England housing, housing market, mortgage market, mortgage affordability, mortgage rates, property prices, rental market, terraced housing, mortgage deals, buy to let, UK mortgages, Worting Road, basingstoke, rate rise, remortgaging, uk, Victorian terracing, interest rate, house prices rising, house prices falling

First time buyers?

• Thanks 1

On 26/06/2023 at 09:31, Steve F said:

My keywording on a recent shot of terraced housing which licensed. Pretty sure it didn't sell for the location.

England housing, housing market, mortgage market, mortgage affordability, mortgage rates, property prices, rental market, terraced housing, mortgage deals, buy to let, UK mortgages, Worting Road, basingstoke, rate rise, remortgaging, uk, Victorian terracing, interest rate, house prices rising, house prices falling

Maybe add Airbnb and holiday lets as a lot of landlords are changing from rental to holiday lets

• Thanks 1