Only just discovered that my recently acquired iMac has this feature. It appears to warm the display noticeably when switched on, so I am assuming it should be off at all times including when recalibrating the monitor. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Alex

On my old 2012 27" iMac it's called night shift...useful when reading at night... tones down the blue light and makes it easier on the eyes. But, for recalibrating and editing, definitely should be off.

On 25/05/2023 at 17:41, Sharon said:

On my old 2012 27" iMac it's called night shift...useful when reading at night... tones down the blue light and makes it easier on the eyes. But, for recalibrating and editing, definitely should be off.

Night Shift and True Tone are actually separate features.

Night Shift just adds a yellow tint to the display to ease viewing in the evening and supposedly reduce the negative effect of strong blue light on our circadian rhythm.

True Tone uses sensors alongside the usual ones to track brightness to read the ambient colour temperature and attempts to match it on the fly. The idea being that a white background should roughly match whatever colour temperature from the lights around you. iPhones and iPads have done it for ages, and to consume media it is nice to have but both features should indeed be off for editing.

38 minutes ago, Cal said:

Night Shift and True Tone are actually separate features.

Night Shift just adds a yellow tint to the display to ease viewing in the evening and supposedly reduce the negative effect of strong blue light on our circadian rhythm.

True Tone uses sensors alongside the usual ones to track brightness to read the ambient colour temperature and attempts to match it on the fly. The idea being that a white background should roughly match whatever colour temperature from the lights around you. iPhones and iPads have done it for ages, and to consume media it is nice to have but both features should indeed be off for editing.

I stand corrected... I have a new Mac on order, so will be learning about all the new technology soon.