Mexican food snack ID please

geogphotos

4 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, I would be very surprised if the food in your photo was "fried flour." They're almost certainly sheets of deep-fried pig skin. Mexican vendors here in Pennsylvania will sometimes sell them that way. They'll also cut them up to chip/crisp size too and sell them in plastic bags. I've seen them in Mexico but they wouldn't be my first choice if I were actually in country - there are so many wonderful street snacks there that I make a point of starting in a different place each time I'm there.

Good tip!

Pennsylvania may well be on my list this year. While Mexico still isn't despite the yummy pork rinds.

I will look out for them in Malaga though.

wim

3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Rebecca, while this is true in my experience too, I would like to remind the group that we stock photographers have to be much more concerned with absolute authenticity and proper identification than any food vendor. 

Keywords count! Oh boy do they count!

If someone in Mexico decided that Sardinian flatbread with sugar would be fun as a street food, then the thing is to find it on the street and see what the vendors are calling it.  Mexican cooking has a range of foreign influences.  Looking for the obvious is like looking for keys under a street light.

One white fancier of Indigenous Catawba Pottery was horrified to find that the leading Catawba potter took at least some of her inspiration from modern art pottery magazines, one copy of which he spotted at her studio or house.   But why in the world should she be a potter restricted to hand shaped coiled pottery just because she's an enrolled member of the Catawba Tribe?

Pig skin is fried here, too, but generally not in large sheets that I've seen.   Typical presentation is chicharon with yuca in a tortilla, with some sauce.   I've never tried them because deep fried pork skin and yuca, but some people love them.

9 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, there are fried sheets of cornmeal paste that could in theory look like that - perhaps corn flour to a speaker of British English. I've never seen them that big though. In the UK, I seem to remember them being sold as "Doritos" - a brand we have here in the States too. I'm sticking with the fried pork skin though. And they were probably fried in one central kitchen and distributed to hundreds or thousands of street vendors later on. 

This brings to mind Ignatius J. Reilly being sent out with cart of hotdogs to sell in  A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Not many hot-dogs survived or were sold 😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

If someone in Mexico decided that Sardinian flatbread with sugar would be fun as a street food, then the thing is to find it on the street and see what the vendors are calling it. 

Rebecca, I'm a fan of Sardinian flatbread (called "Carta di Musica" in Italian) and would jump at the chance to eat it now if I could. 

Wim, if you come to Pennsylvania, remember that the Shoe House is now an Airbnb. 

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Rebecca, I'm a fan of Sardinian flatbread (called "Carta di Musica" in Italian) and would jump at the chance to eat it now if I could. 

Wim, if you come to Pennsylvania, remember that the Shoe House is now an Airbnb. 

Thanks for reminding me. If only to update my keywords!

wim

• Like 1