Hello

I resized JPG images to over 24Mb as required but now cannot upload because it system say it exceeds upload size ? I uploaded the normal files around 7 - 10mb each and now they will most likely fail QC. Your guidelines say it must be over 24mb but your system will not allow me to upload such a big file.

Am I doing something wrong ? This is my first time submitting images.

Hello Philo122

It sounds like you are mistaking compressed JPEG size for uncompressed size. The uncompressed size (ie the size the file is when you have opened it in photoshop or similar ) must be over 24MB, which means the compressed size ( the size the file takes up on disc) is usually 2-5 MB.

You seem to have been trying to send Alamy 25MB compressed files which are too large.

Read Alamy s' guidelines on file size which are stuck to the top of this section of the forum - they are very clear on this

Cheers

Kumar Sriskandan

Thanks Kumar

Any ideas on how I can calculate what the actual uncompressed size is ? I export with lightroom, but it does not give any info on the images uncompressed size.

Apologies if all this has been asked before but I tried to do a forum search and cannot seem to access old topics.

Cheers

P.

Hi Philo122

I tend to use Lightroom to do the RAW conversion and then transfer to Photoshop for final adjustments and saving; but in Lightroom you should be able to discover the actual file size in the Metadata section in Library when you open the image. 

For comparison I use a Canon 5D Mk2 which produces images which are 5616x3744 pixels in size, which equates to an uncompressed file of 60.2 MB, but the final JPEG files uploaded are much smaller than that

Kumar sriskandan

I may be missing something, as I use Photoshop, like Doc, to get uncompressed image sizes. But Lightroom doesn't seem to have a readout anywhere for the uncompressed image size in MB. However, in View - View Options, there are a few workarounds:

1. If you haven't cropped the image, then you can get the size in Megapixels. Multiply this number by 3 and it will give you the uncompressed image size (with minor rounding errors). This only works if you haven't cropped the image as it doesn't take into account the cropped dimensions.

2. If you have cropped, then you can show the cropped dimensions. Multiply the two numbers, then multiply by 3 and divide by a million. This will give the uncompressed image size in MB. This may sound complicated but it is very simple really.

As I said, I may be missing something. But if I'm not, then Lightroom needs the uncompressed image size as a simple readout as well as the bit depth. Bridge has both of these readily available.

I tend to use standard crop ratios, so to save all the maths, for each ratio I have a target "longest side" that I resize the image to.

This automatically gives a specific uncompressed file size.

I'm not seeing that (Lightroom 4.3) but maybe I'm missing it. My Lightroom shows the size of the image on disk as one of the top items of metadata as File Size but not the uncompressed file size (essentially the number of pixels multiplied by 3 for 8-bit images). Again this appears to be mixing up what are two very different quantities.

I'm not seeing that (Lightroom 4.3) but maybe I'm missing it. My Lightroom shows the size of the image on disk as one of the top items of metadata as File Size but not the uncompressed file size (essentially the number of pixels multiplied by 3 for 8-bit images). Again this appears to be mixing up what are two very different quantities.

Multiply together and then by 3 and you have the uncompressed size- e.g. for the image I am looking at now, cropped to 4014x3056, that's 4000x3000x3 or about 36MB.

Archived