Fees

Vitor from Portugal

Question

19 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

I try to contact the contributor email and only get the auto response lol. 

So, no one to get in touch to get the answer about this fee... 

Thank you Alamy! 

It's normal procedure. Also, Alamy do not work on weekends, you'll get a reply next week.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gvallee said:

It's normal procedure. Also, Alamy do not work on weekends, you'll get a reply next week.

which is really bad practice if the bug is linked to something they knew was being implemented on a Friday, which was Their decision as they wrote the agreement. 

14 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

which is really bad practice if the bug is linked to something they knew was being implemented on a Friday, which was Their decision as they wrote the agreement. 

Plus they re-introduced this bug not so long ago. And then they do it again... 

There has been some shockingly buggy releases in the past but this one really takes the cake.

I used to be a software tester. It looks like there has been no testing at all, no technical specs, no understanding of how the software hangs together. 

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

There has been some shockingly buggy releases in the past but this one really takes the cake.

I used to be a software tester. It looks like there has been no testing at all, no technical specs, no understanding of how the software hangs together. 

I too used to be a software tester. It's very disappointing that the most obvious bugs just get ignored. How can no-one care about "Sorry, we've encountered an unexpected error" being displayed so often? That page should send an automatic count to developers every time it is displayed (IMHO).

• Love 1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sandi said:

I too used to be a software tester. It's very disappointing that the most obvious bugs just get ignored. How can no-one care about "Sorry, we've encountered an unexpected error" being displayed so often? That page should send an automatic count to developers every time it is displayed (IMHO).

I have been through a few horror releases with Alamy. This time I cannot be bothered to do any testing. 

When there had been obvious defects in the past, the closest Alamy came to admit it was a bug was the statement 'it won't always be like that'. A few posts detailing results of thorough testing (not by me) were deleted. What's the point?

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

I was often enrolled as a user tester because i was good at crashing the system by trying non default scenarios.   I can't believe Alamy releases changes with no apparent user testing.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

I try to contact the contributor email and only get the auto response lol. 

So, no one to get in touch to get the answer about this fee... 

Thank you Alamy! 

Hi Vitor. I´ve the same problem with the fees... could you share the contributors mail? I couldn't find it. Many thanks and regards.

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

I was often enrolled as a user tester because i was good at crashing the system by trying non default scenarios.   I can't believe Alamy releases changes with no apparent user testing.  

Digital photography seems to frequently go with some experience with IT, computers, program testing.  I used to be an unpaid beta tester for XEmacs.  Found a bug they didn't believe in because I wasn't a programmer.  I gave them the web page that showed the bug.   Alamy could have done this better.

I once worked for a guy whose partner was ripping him off.  The bad partner tried to get the techs who reported him fired.   They sold the company without disclosing that they'd failed to send employee unemployment and Medicare contributions to the Feds for three of four quarters, and made the acquiring company pay the back taxes and fines because the acquiring company failed to do due diligence.   The acquiring company went bankrupt.

If one of the partners is also directly soliciting for contributors, are they really interested in doing a great job at redesigning Alamy's web page?  

I had some more photos picked up upload and was thinking about how to reshoot some still lifes to be potentially useful for advertisers.   Will hold off until this is settled.  The more depths of management, the more likely the top level will forget what their core business is.  If you don't understand what you turn over to other people, the chances of being ripped off increase.  An ex-brother-in-law owned a newspaper and his bookkeeper ripped him off.  The guy who was supposedly so good at finance and sales ripped off the technical guy who founded the company.  A guy who was hired for being a guy with an engineering degree wasn't stealing, just wasn't capable of doing his job and didn't have staff to cover for him.  Doubleday had a son or grandson of the founder who insisted that acquiring editors do their manuscript reading at home (fortunately, this didn't apply to editorial secretaries for the book clubs).

Don't hire it done if you don't understand what a good job should look like.   This has been such a cluster mess that I started thinking about what happened at Netaxs, and why it died.

Alamy, if you want to restrict contributors to agencies who can arrange shoots as well as license stock photos, then do the honest thing and just fire us.   If you want to fire all the Silver level, I'd see what the sell to portfolio ratio was and keep people who have small but unique portfolios that have high numbers of sales for the portfolio sizes.   You're giving me the idea that I could manage this better than you can, and I don't even like the idea of doing that kind of work, and I'm not a good people person.  

You either have contempt for your individual contributors or you're  brutally naive about the means of the enterprise you're in, which is acquiring and licensing photos through web sites.  I like the larger thumbnails.  About everything else is crazy making.

When I check of a morning to see how I'm doing, I want to see what the keyword searches were, so I can correct mine if possible to keep photos showing up as false positive, to see if mine were unique or near unique zooms or if they were among a mass zooming session (larger thumbnails are good for cutting that down, perhaps), and if All of Alamy shows some keywords that would have been applicable for a search, I can add those.  

If someone says something that seems either dunderheaded or particularly wise, I like checking to see what that person's portfolio looks like.  Can't do that now.

Can't ask if I've improved the editing of my portfolio, if the photos are better selected (had 1100 or so up last time, now have under 600 with some new ones).

A large chunk of the usefulness of the front end(s?) of the database is gone.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Alamy reply to me:

... "If you've seen these entries within your account, they will be reversed and these charges will not take place. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and can confirm that these relate to an old model and is not the way Alamy currently work or are planning to in the future."... 

We can keep the uploads moving again, the fees value will not take place. 

Cheers. 

Vítor 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

Alamy reply to me:

... "If you've seen these entries within your account, they will be reversed and these charges will not take place. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and can confirm that these relate to an old model and is not the way Alamy currently work or are planning to in the future."... 

We can keep the uploads moving again, the fees value will not take place. 

Cheers. 

Vítor 

I would recommend you keep on them for this.  Promised reversals of other non agreement charges last summer (extra commission on sales restated after July 24) still had not been corrected 8 months later.