How to unlock the live news and sport upload options?

Attraction Images

Question

5 answers to this question

On 12/06/2022 at 15:22, Attraction Images said:

I shoot a lot of news and sports recently but by the time they get approved the news or sport has passed, how can i get this option unlocked so that i can sell these while still relevant ?

Thanks

When you think you have newsworthy images, you need to ask for a temporary approval at the news@alamy.com with already captioned and ready to be uploaded files.

If you constantly had newsworthy images, you'd (probably) get a permanent access for uploading such images. It's not guaranteed, though. You can find more info on this on the Alamy website. Good luck!

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Attraction Images said:

I shoot a lot of news and sports recently but by the time they get approved the news or sport has passed, how can i get this option unlocked so that i can sell these while still relevant ?

Thanks

There are a number of requirements for news access including the ability to upload within an hour of taking the images.  As Ognyan states check the Alamy website.  Depending on the sports covered you may need to meet sports bodies, such as Dataco, requirements.  Sports photography at the level that sells is both competitive and highly controlled.  For news photography you should, if UK based, get a press card.  It saves a lot of problems and issues.

• Love 2

7 hours ago, Attraction Images said:

thanks guys, how does one get  a uk press card? and how does it help? thanks

Details of application process for UK press card http://www.ukpresscardauthority.co.uk

The UK press card is recognised by the police and many organisations as showing you are an accredited press photographer.  So if you are photographing an incident or taking pictures in a sensitive area like Whitehall you may be challenged by the police and possession of a press card normally means you will be allowed to continue to work.  Many organisations require a press card as a precursor to event accreditation for the same reason.  It is not essential but it is most helpful.  Another example is College Green across from the Houses of Parliament, during times of political drama entry is only allowed to those with a UK press card; there are multiple political heavyweights being interviewed and I have got some profitable photographs there. 

Edited by IanDavidson
Additional information
  • Like 3

Ian's advice is spot on but you won't need a press card for covering "soft" news and events that otherwise don't tend to attract crowds of police/trouble. It's hard to tell exactly the kind of stuff you'd be submitting without seeing the photos.

If you ask Alamy and you can prove that you have "newsworthy" images already in your portfolio, they may well give you access. You can then use that opportunity to get things published and earn yourself some tear sheets.

I personally don't have a press card though I only tend to cover "soft" news and occasionally at that. Have covered a few protests but nothing huge. No idea what it takes to get a press card, I've heard anecdotes that a certain % of your income has to be from photojournalism, but cannot confirm either way if true. 

Edited by Cal