Hello from West Yorkshire

MikeDenton

Hi All,

I am fairly new to all this. I signed up last August but have just really started uploading images for sale. I had a photo featured in The Guardian in May but no sales have shown up. When i spoke to Alamy about this they said that 'we’ve looked and we do have a relevant download for this usage but some of our editorial customers report usages to us over a period of time. If you don’t see the sale appear in your account within 3 months of the usage date then please let us know so we can chase this up for you.'

I stumbled on the featured photo purely by chance. I would have thought i would have received a notification that a customer had purchased a photo at the very least. Is this not the case? It worries me that other people may have used images without my knowledge or being paid.

Thanks in advance

Mike

3 hours ago, MikeDenton said:

I would have thought i would have received a notification that a customer had purchased a photo at the very least

No. This is not a retail business.

Most editorial clients self-report some time after they use the image.

The Guardian is one of the best at reporting promptly, usually at the end of the month following publication. If the use was towards the end of May it may not show until the end of this month.

Wonderful images. I suggest you put more information in your captions....the scientific name and where taken, etc. It will be a little helpful in having your images show up in searches. Also be sure the most important information is in supertags. Good luck.

Paulette

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

No. This is not a retail business.

Most editorial clients self-report some time after they use the image.

The Guardian is one of the best at reporting promptly, usually at the end of the month following publication. If the use was towards the end of May it may not show until the end of this month.

Thank you! I’m not if I quite understand why you mean about self reporting. If a customer doesn’t self report then you don’t get paid?

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Wonderful images. I suggest you put more information in your captions....the scientific name and where taken, etc. It will be a little helpful in having your images show up in searches. Also be sure the most important information is in supertags. Good luck.

Paulette

Thank you very much and thank you for the tips! I’m finding it very time consuming  tagging everything but I’d imagine you get quicker and more used to it

2 hours ago, MikeDenton said:

Thank you very much and thank you for the tips! I’m finding it very time consuming  tagging everything but I’d imagine you get quicker and more used to it

I still consider it a pain in the neck! I just have found that being thorough is worthwhile.

Paulette

8 hours ago, MikeDenton said:

Thank you! I’m not if I quite understand why you mean about self reporting. If a customer doesn’t self report then you don’t get paid?

Welcome. Account customers self report. This usually happens after an image is published, and can be a month or more after.  We are not paid until whoever purchased has paid Alamy, then via which ever method you chose, and after the beginning of the month after your current cleared balance exceeds $50. I have had the Guardian self report at the end of the month in which the image is used, or the following month. Newspapers usually report usage at the end of the month. Not reporting usage is a problem that Alamy now investigates. I usually do a search for images that have been zoomed, but not all images zoomed are licensed and many licensed images aren't zoomed.

On 08/06/2022 at 20:46, MikeDenton said:

Impressive images. The option to copy and paste all tags from previous uploads can help speed up the process. The longer we upload the more tag 'pools' we have available. I often paste all and delete the irrelevant tags as that's quicker.