Is http://www.copyrighthouse.co.uk legit and good idea?

No.

There's no need and no advantage to registering in the UK. It's just another of those businesses charging for something you can get for nothing just by pressing the shutter release.

The US has statutory damages for infringement of images registered with the government. We don't, so this is no better than looking after your images yourself.

Bad idea...unless you are the one who is getting the £79, in which case it's brilliant.

You don't need to register copyright to be proved the author. Having the raw file is much better proof.

I register my commercial stock with the US Copyright Office for potential benefit of damages in a US court.... and because one agency makes me do it.

This looks like a pretty good article on how to register your photos with the US copyright office...

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2009/05/electronic-copyright-registrat/

Yes, it is painful the first time navigating the copyright office site!!!! I have had to write down my own personal very specific instructions because I get lost. I can register about 2500 images at once for $35. This seems to depend on your internet speed because you get timed out in the uploading if you are trying to do too many. I make my images a tiny size in Lightroom and save that preset. I make the long edge 400 pixels and the resolution 72. I would say more but, really, I find the site a pain in the neck. The good thing is that after you have done it once most of the pages can be filled by clicking "ADD ME" ( or something like that). Good luck. It's a pain but if you have an infringement in the US you can potentially get a lot more money.

Paulette

This looks like a pretty good article on how to register your photos with the US copyright office...

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2009/05/electronic-copyright-registrat/

Yes, it is painful the first time navigating the copyright office site!!!! I have had to write down my own personal very specific instructions because I get lost. I can register about 2500 images at once for $35. This seems to depend on your internet speed because you get timed out in the uploading if you are trying to do too many. I make my images a tiny size in Lightroom and save that preset. I make the long edge 400 pixels and the resolution 72. I would say more but, really, I find the site a pain in the neck. The good thing is that after you have done it once most of the pages can be filled by clicking "ADD ME" ( or something like that). Good luck. It's a pain but if you have an infringement in the US you can potentially get a lot more money.

Paulette

Thanks for that link, Paulette.  Very helpful.

I've been putting off registering work with the UCO (probably my small-minded, small town attitude that I shouldn't have to, dagnabit! - we're far too used in the UK to knowing that the work is already ours and that we shouldn't have to take further steps to protect it).  Anyhow, it's definitely time to take that step and the article appears to make the process a little more straightforward.

Thanks again!

Actually it is true here too that our work is copyrighted when we take it but if you wind up in court you might wind up with more money if the image has been registered.

Paulette

Thanks guys. I know I dont need it to proof my copyright, I meant, to get compensation. I will edit my OP. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me know. 

Where should I register my images to get compensated in case of infringement?

To register US Copyrights go to http://copyright.gov

READ the instructions as far as registering unpublished and previously published work!

L

Actually it is true here too that our work is copyrighted when we take it but if you wind up in court you might wind up with more money if the image has been registered.

Paulette

Copyright protection is the way you'd get statutory damages. In most cases a lawyer will not take your case on a contingency basis unless you've registered your copyrights BEFORE the infringement took place.

Archived