Sale price of photos

Mick Jack

Question

I do not hold a large collection of photos on Alamy and partly due to this I do not make frequent or numerous sales.  I have noticed however that the sale price of my photos has dropped, in some cases to ridiculously low levels.  My latest sale was for an aerial photo (so came at a cost to me) brought in $1.67.  I then take 40% of this.  At this rate it is hardly worth selling the images.  The low prices that I have seen also do not correspond to the prices listed on my pages.  Have any other contributors found a similar development?  The recent takeover/restructuring of Alamy has seen an increase in help in terms of creative advice for photographers and an increase in efforts made to give a better service to buyers but I feel that contributors are now getting a poorer service.   Trying to get an answer to my questions by email other than the usual generic one is becoming harder.

• Thanks 1

7 answers to this question

I am seeing much lower sale prices than I've ever seen before. But larger sales are still keeping my average close to where it's been for the last few years.

re. listed prices, I almost never see sales for these prices. Bear in mind that listed prices may vary from country to country.

On 29/03/2022 at 18:36, CMEckert said:

It would be less of an insult if they would just give them away.

They do have the right to give them away.  See clause 8.3 of the contributor contract, and clause 9.1 if you are opted into the Novel Use scheme. 

Graham

On 29/03/2022 at 12:12, Keith J said:

Prices are at a all time low on Alamy now. 

I have just had 10 sales show up overnight all RF my total for these is a huge $0.52 cents, what a joke this has become

Last month one of my images licensed for $0.75, and I thought that was bad, and earlier in this year I thought $1.67 was bad. There certainly is an ongoing downward trend. The only way forward I see is to vastly increase uploads and then the percentage of higher priced sales will hopefully compensate for the crap. This then involves more time not covered by the right priced sales, is it worth it? Time will tell.