Getting `Portrait' images past Alamy size requirements

I appreciate this question has probably been asked before...but I'm having trouble getting my `portrait' size shots past the upload requirements.  Is it just that `portrait' doesn't work with clients or do I need to re-size in some way.  I shoot in RAW and then convert to dng in Lightroom 4 before exporting into jpeg.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Anything over 3600x2400 is big enough for Alamy. Check your export settings. Unless you're still using a camera of 8MP or less you shouldn't be resizing at all.

PS- just looked at your port- your native size is 3872 x 2592 (10MP) and some of your crops are really close to the 24MB limit. Are you over-cropping without resizing, and could you be resizing so that your portraits come out at 2592 long edge?

Anything over 3600x2400 is big enough for Alamy. Check your export settings. Unless you're still using a camera of 8MP or less you shouldn't be resizing at all.

PS- just looked at your port- your native size is 3872 x 2592 (10MP) and some of your crops are really close to the 24MB limit. Are you over-cropping without resizing, and could you be resizing so that your portraits come out at 2592 long edge?

Hi Spacecadet

I'm not cropping or re-sizing at all...my `standard `portrait' size (in Lightroom) shows as 2592x3872...my landscapes are the reverse, yet the portraits fail upload,,,(I'm using a Nikon D60).  Baffles me

Hi Spacecadet

I'm not cropping or re-sizing at all...my `standard `portrait' size (in Lightroom) shows as 2592x3872...my landscapes are the reverse, yet the portraits fail upload,,,(I'm using a Nikon D60).  Baffles me

Is the resolution  set at 300 and saving at  100% for quality?

The quality setting doesn't affect the uncompressed file size.

OP, coould you post a screenshot of your LR export dialogue box showing the size settings?

Just tried to upload a screenshot but the system syas the file ext. is not allowe in thsi community...will try another method

The quality setting doesn't affect the uncompressed file size.

OP, coould you post a screenshot of your LR export dialogue box showing the size settings?

Just tried to upload a screenshot but the system syas the file ext. is not allowe in thsi community...will try another method

sorry..can't seem to get a screen shot...even with word?????

the settings I have been using are to reset size to 3872x2592 (width and height) resoloution set at 300

Ok...think I have cracked it myself...I have to change the size to `long edge' only (3872 worked).  Thanks for your time and help.  If there's anything else I'm not setting correctly, will be pleased to listen :) :)

With a 10MP file - unless you want to rescale the px dimensions upwards (i.e make the dimensions larger) - you don't need to set 'Resize to fit' to anything.  Just leave the checkbox blank and the resolution set to 300 ppi.

Have tried that but it reduces the jpg size...from 6.5mp to 4.6mp which affects the compressed size...but actually seems to still pass the size-check...will try out some other uploads, but thanks for the advice :)

With a 10MP file - unless you want to rescale the px dimensions upwards (i.e make the dimensions larger) - you don't need to set 'Resize to fit' to anything.  Just leave the checkbox blank and the resolution set to 300 ppi.

Have tried that but it reduces the jpg size...from 6.5mp to 4.6mp which affects the compressed size...but actually seems to still pass the size-check...will try out some other uploads, but thanks for the advice :)

The .jpg size shouldn't be of any concern.  The uncompressed file size is what matters.  As long as you meet the 24MB minimum, that's all that matters.

Download Alamy Size Check and use it before you upload.  As long as you have not cropped any files prior to export from LR, then there is no need to resize them prior to export.

Barking, here are the settings to use when an image is not cropped....

In Export box under File Settings:

Image Format: JPEG

Color Space: sRGB

Quality: 100

Do not check the Limit File Size

Under Image Sizing:

Do not check the Resize to Fit box

Resolution: 300 ppi

When I need to crop my earlier work, I check the Resize to Fit and choose Megapixels. My camera for most of my images was 14MP, so I choose 12MP to start; check the image for quality and be sure it's large enough. If not I may bump it as high as 20MP, though I don't do this very often as it can degrade the image to the soft side.

Thanks losdemas and Charley...I already use Alamy size check which tells me if it will upload but doesn't tell me what to do when it doesn't, come up to scratch.....anyway I think I have solved the issue...just need to check my LR settings more carefully. Thanks everyone :-) :-)

Archived