Overdoing the panos

Jools Elliott

Been faffing around a little with some panos. Some serious and some a work in progress. This is a work in progress. Why? The light wasn't really there for this one so I guess I'll have to make an excuse to go back and do it again next year!

11083559914_dcbe600430_o.jpg

You might have to wait some time to get the reflection again though. I really like this image. If it was mine, I'd select the top above the lake, apply a big feather to the selection and boost the contrast with a low to medium s-curve to bring out the colour in the trees.

I mainly do panoramas to illustrate landscape and geological features as part of a longterm project I am working on. I like to use a 50mm prime rather than a wideangle for quality and detail, as well as the fact that a wideangle can make mountains look like molehills. So stiitching has become a significant part of my workflow. I upload them to Alamy as I may as well but they don't sell for me.

I also do vertical stitches which allows me to do square format images or very large portrait format landscapes. A few of these have sold.

This is the only real panorama I have sold on Alamy - for $10.56 gross on the newspaper scheme illustrating the floods in eastern England in December 2012.

D1DP2A.jpg

Been faffing around a little with some panos. Some serious and some a work in progress. This is a work in progress. Why? The light wasn't really there for this one so I guess I'll have to make an excuse to go back and do it again next year!

11083559914_dcbe600430_o.jpg

You might have to wait some time to get the reflection again though. I really like this image. If it was mine, I'd select the top above the lake, apply a big feather to the selection and boost the contrast with a low to medium s-curve to bring out the colour in the trees.

Thanks for that. I might just play around tomorrow when I have a moment:)

Archived