Re Google image search and Tineye,

I'm increasingly finding that they turn up less and less results.

Including for images that are reported as web use sales, and even some that I've seen on the web myself.

Anyone got any idea why this should be?

Can't speak to the reduction in efficiency, but I do find that the results vary from week to week for newer images, so it's worth persisting.

Speaking of which, I recently uncovered a violation at least a year old, from an image first published 4 years ago, and embedded in a PDF at that, so persistence is worthwhile. Especially as the bill they're going to get will be five times what that image has ever made me legitimately.

Tiney hasn't found anything of mine for ages. It's Google or nothing.

I've always found Tineye next to useless in any case, to be honest (though I still use - just in case)!  As to Google, as spacecadet says - "Can't speak to the reduction in efficiency, but I do find that the results vary from week to week for newer images, so it's worth persisting."

Can't speak to the reduction in efficiency, but I do find that the results vary from week to week for newer images, so it's worth persisting.

Speaking of which, I recently uncovered a violation at least a year old, from an image first published 4 years ago, and embedded in a PDF at that, so persistence is worthwhile. Especially as the bill they're going to get will be five times what that image has ever made me legitimately.

Tiney hasn't found anything of mine for ages. It's Google or nothing.

Indeed i'll persist with searches as they do sometimes bring up infringements that are worth chasing.

However, I cannot understand the inconsistency of a software that should bring up realtime accurate results.

However, I cannot understand the inconsistency of a software that should bring up realtime accurate results.

No that I know about these things technically, but there is a lot of internet to index. And it is free money, after all, thanks, Google.

I did not know about Tineye, thank. I did a quick check of one of my images and I found "just" 43 infringements.

http://www.tineye.com/search/56ee3fa4b0a6a46dd501abfa59c427db122c6197/?pluginver=

My "problem" is that in my sites there are thousans of images, in low resolution, and I can not check one by one if has been taken elswere.

I search one particular image on a daily basis with Google because it gets infringed so much (and it is registered with the USCO thanks to Carolyn Wright's suggestion) but I have also found that if I add a couple of letters to the search box (if there is text in the box), I get a great deal more results.  This particular image usually gets around 100 results but if I add "pd" to the search box after "children swimming underwater", I get approximately 460 results.  I have no idea why the difference.

Before anyone asks, I added "pd" because the metadata of the original image had "pd" imbedded as it related to Photographers Direct and it was a way of identifying the image for uploading from my hard drive. I kept finding the image metadata on the Net as "kids underwater for PD" and so I thought I would see if Google also picked up metadata.  Sounds complicated I know!

Sheila

I did not know about Tineye, thank. I did a quick check of one of my images and I found "just" 43 infringements.

http://www.tineye.com/search/56ee3fa4b0a6a46dd501abfa59c427db122c6197/?pluginver=

My "problem" is that in my sites there are thousans of images, in low resolution, and I can not check one by one if has been taken elswere.

I think TinyEye does provide services; but they are not free and can be expensive unless you are one of those who are already earning more than say $3000 in a month :-)

http://services.tineye.com/MatchEngine

Not been able to find a way to do automated search on Google Images (so far).

I have never had decent results from Tineye in the past.

I thought I'd give it a go in the light of this thread, and have just loaded a selection my sold images onto it - ones that I know Google Search will bring up plenty of hits on every time.

Basically it was hopeless, with about 70% getting no hits at all. Nothing from the Mail, Telegraph, Guardian or any of the blog reposts.

I won't waste any more time on it!

Archived