complete newbie here hello one and all

HRHHALES

First of all, don't worry about getting 50 keywords, search for 'discoveability' on the forum to find why it isn't important.

Then describe the subject  as fully as possible without including words which will bring the photo up in searches incorrectly, but including any words which someone looking for a picture like yours might use. For example:

Image  2H01WWG - make sure the caption fully describes 'Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) eating (what?) on Brownsea Island in Dorset'

Sciurus vulgaris (latin names always useful, but make sure they are correct), Eurasian red squirrel, tree, woodland, British, wildlife, (location, but only if the location is significant to that subject), mossy, animal.

You might also include emotional words such as cute if the picture truly warrants it.

Implied concepts might be included, but make sure you are accurate, eg. endangered (though the red squirrel is officially 'near threatened' in England).

Check that you are allowed to sell/licence pictures you take at a given location for commercial gain. I note that Brownsea Island has paid admittance, check that there are no restrictions on photo sales in the terms and conditions of entry. The National Trust can be particularly troublesome in this respect, though you are feee to use images take from public highways and public footpaths.

Thoroughly research every picture you upload on the internet, Captioning and keywording should be one of the most time-consuming parts of your workflow, if you are doing it properly.

• Like 1

Hi Hayley, and welcome from another Hampshire contributor. 

Don't worry about trying to add lots of tags - it's not necessary to get the discoverability bar into the green, and it's not a good idea to include irrelevant tags. If you search "Discoverability" on the forum, you'll find lots of discussion about this. On the other hand, there are a few more tags that you should add to your wildlife photos, including wildlife! Also it's important to include the Latin (scientific) names, and be specific about the species, for example what species is your wagtail. It's probably worth adding the country as well, as customer searches include UK wildlife or British wildlife, for example. Good luck.

14 hours ago, HRHHALES said:

please tell me things get easier im stugling to make all the tags i mean if its a red squirrel on a branch what more can i tag 

thanks in avance 

Do a 'red squirrel' search on the Alamy main website and see how other people have keyworded their images.

p.s. Not to say that there's a right way and a wrong way per se, and even the top images in a search may not necessarily be keyworded well - so have a look at several images.

p.p.s. there's lots of threads on the Forum about keywording

Edited by Steve F

13 hours ago, HRHHALES said:

please tell me things get easier im stugling to make all the tags i mean if its a red squirrel on a branch what more can i tag 

thanks in avance 

Red Squirrel Eating on Brownsea Island in Dorset - Image ID: 2H01WWG

More or better keywords:

Brownsea Island, Dorset, UK, England, the Latin name of the animal, autumn, foraging.

As others have said, you don't need to add irrelevant keywords and in fact irrelevant keywords will hurt your ranking.

34 minutes ago, Steve F said:

More or better keywords:

Brownsea Island, Dorset, UK, England, the Latin name of the animal, autumn, foraging.

also don't forget derivatives and stemming that people doing searches might use

United Kingdom 

English

Forage

and synonyms:  Looking for food  for example.  

• Like 1