Commission tier calculation

DJ Myford

@Alamy : Will DACS and similar payments be included in the commission tier calculation? They represent income that the contributor's images have earned for Alamy during the relevant year, so they should be part of the calculation alongside licences, yes?

Edited by DJ Myford
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2021 at 10:49, DJ Myford said:

@Alamy : Will DACS and similar payments be included in the commission tier calculation? They represent income that the contributor's images have earned for Alamy during the relevant year, so they should be part of the calculation alongside licences, yes?

Hi DJ Mayford, 

The tier calculation goes on licence fees made through Alamy, not DACS payments. DACS payments via Alamy will be paid to the contributor at 50% after we've taken away admin costs, which average out at around £1 per contributor claimed for. 

If you have anymore questions, feel free to email contributors@alamy.com and the team will get back to you. 

Thanks

Corin

Alamy, that was not the question I asked, and I'm sure you are aware of that. But to clarify: If you collect DACS or other "other income" for a contributor to the sum of, say, $100 gross in the relevant year, would they then only need $150 in gross licence revenue to remain in the gold tier?

1 minute ago, DJ Myford said:

Alamy, that was not the question I asked, and I'm sure you are aware of that. But to clarify: If you collect DACS or other "other income" for a contributor to the sum of, say, $100 gross in the relevant year, would they then only need $150 in gross licence revenue to remain in the gold tier?

The way I read that answer, which seems to me a fair one, the answer to your original question is "no". The tier formula applies only to licence fees.

The contract refers only to "content sales". There is a separate clause referring to collecting societies.

FWIW I wouldn't myself expect DACS royalties to count towards tiers.

Of course I could be wrong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

Hi DJ Myford, 

I have answered this question in my previous reply, please see below. 

4 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hi DJ Mayford, 

The tier calculation goes on licence fees made through Alamy, not DACS payments. DACS payments via Alamy will be paid to the contributor at 50% after we've taken away admin costs, which average out at around £1 per contributor claimed for. 

If you have anymore questions, feel free to email contributors@alamy.com and the team will get back to you. 

Thanks

Corin

spacecadet is correct and reiterates my answer. As per the contract the tier calculations each year look at licence fees only, so the contributor in your example would still need to make over $250 in sales to remain on gold - regardless of the value of DACS revenue they recieve. 

Thanks

Corin