Location?

It's a big world ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Appears it was taken in Oakham, Rutland, England. But I have no idea what the plants name is, sorry.

Allan

The fruits are reminiscent of pokeweed (Phytolacca sp.), and a web search for that genus turns up some promising images (though you need to scroll down a bit). See for example

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksman/6649945321/

For future reference, plants in botanic gardens tend to have labels (you may need to hunt a little to find one), and I try to take a shot of the label before or after I take photos of the plant. If I'm not sure which label goes with which plant, I'll take photos of any likely candidates and Google the names later.

[Edited to correct for a touch of dyslexia in reporting the genus name.]

Chris beat me to it! I'm in Phytolacca americana country, though, and I've never seen it look nearly as showy as the OP's photo (nor am I aware of cultivated varieties, though I can't rule out the possibility). P. polyandra seems a more likely candidate.

Thanks for all your help. Phytolacca was the clue I needed and I agree after Googling loads of images that P.polyandra (=P. clavigera) looks like the one.

Agree with your tip about photographing the plant labels (I usually do), but this specimen was in densely planted border where I just couldn't go rummaging about too much.

Yes it is a fine specimen, I think they must have given it lots of mulch!

Wim

Thanks. I hadn't thought of checking what plants they have on sale. Derrr... The specimen I photographed was in their garden as opposed to the plant nursery, but I see they don't sell polyandra. Mmm... looks like I may need to recheck this one. I live close-by so next time I'm there I'll take another look at the borders as the plant label may now be visible as the foliage dies back.

Many thanks.

Mark

In my experience, botanic gardens sell only a small subset of the plants they display. According to Wikipedia, there are about 25 species of Phytolacca worldwide, and if some of them have been cultivated (the plant in the photo Wim found looks like it has been bred for upright spikes and tighter clusters than the wild-type that grows in my area) and hybridized, there may simply not be enough info in your photo to identify it to species. For most purposes, identification to genus is sufficient, but if you do return and find a tag, I hope you'll report back!

In my experience, botanic gardens sell only a small subset of the plants they display. According to Wikipedia, there are about 25 species of Phytolacca worldwide, and if some of them have been cultivated (the plant in the photo Wim found looks like it has been bred for upright spikes and tighter clusters than the wild-type that grows in my area) and hybridized, there may simply not be enough info in your photo to identify it to species. For most purposes, identification to genus is sufficient, but if you do return and find a tag, I hope you'll report back!

I agree, otoh Barnsdale Gardens is in the UK and is not exactly a botanic garden, but more of a show garden. Which is why I added I had been there. I quite liked Geoff Hamilton (1936-1996: 59 just as old as I am now and he died riding a bike; -oops). Many did: he was posthumously named Gardener of the Millennium in 2000. - Can anyone who ever saw him on Gardener's World, say the words raised from seed or from cuttings or read the word hypertufa without hearing his voice?

Without him, Barnsdale had to make a living any which way they could and the nursery shop was part of that I guess.

wim

Archived