ID This Sweet?

Ed Rooney

Question

6 answers to this question

I've never heard of Sankaya before but found this description: 

"Sankaya or Thai pumpkin custard is a Thai-style inside out pumpkin pie in which a lightly sweetened coconut milk and egg custard is steamed inside of a hollowed out pumpkin. A perfect balance of textures, the steamed egg custard inside shows the influence of the Portuguese on Thai cuisine, who introduced the idea of adding eggs to desserts in the 1600's.

In Thailand, Sankaya is a popular street vendor sweet and each wedge costs about 20 baht (about sixty cents)."

10 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

"Sankaya or Thai pumpkin custard is a Thai-style inside out pumpkin pie in which a lightly sweetened coconut milk and egg custard is steamed inside of a hollowed out pumpkin. A perfect balance of textures, the steamed egg custard inside shows the influence of the Portuguese on Thai cuisine, who introduced the idea of adding eggs to desserts in the 1600's.

In Thailand, Sankaya is a popular street vendor sweet and each wedge costs about 20 baht (about sixty cents)."

And in tourist centers and resorts it's usually made to look like a pumpkin.

wim

13 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Gosh a nice heathy sweet for around 50 pence. Take me to them.

Allan