ASCRL

Roseypictures

Question

9 answers to this question

Yes thanks. It seems that the only way to get any payment is through Alamy. And I thought it was only paid if you allowed Alamy to claim DACS for you ( Doc's post may show that I am wrong on this). 

I was able to join ASCRL and was quite happily entering all my US uses then I enquired about some information. I was told that I was perfectly welcome to be a member and could carry on adding US uses for as long as I wanted but the long and short of it was there was no money in the kitty and I wouldn't be getting paid anything. Anything they had had already been paid out. And if anything they were planning on tightening up the rules to stop foreigners from joining.

The USA does not have its own collecting society its only revenues come from Uk and EU - specifically DACS and the German scheme. For some reason they get paid a share of this and then divvy it out amongst its members. Of course the irony is that US photographer, and presumably ASCRL member, can also claim DACS direct, or even if they do nothing Alamy will claim for them. 

I also tried to sign up to the German scheme and was told that it was only possible to be a member of one collecting society and since I was a member of DACS Payback I would have to claim for German uses through the small scheme that DACS runs every June. I am trying to do that but finding ISBNs and web uses in German isn't easy for me. 

I looked at the scheme in Canada and it is only open to Canadian residents. Then I stopped looking. 

Quite why the UK scheme is happy to pay anybody and everybody all around the world when the other schemes do not reciprocate is beyond me. 

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Yes thanks. It seems that the only way to get any payment is through Alamy. And I thought it was only paid if you allowed Alamy to claim DACS for you ( Doc's post may show that I am wrong on this). 

I was able to join ASCRL and was quite happily entering all my US uses then I enquired about some information. I was told that I was perfectly welcome to be a member and could carry on adding US uses for as long as I wanted but the long and short of it was there was no money in the kitty and I wouldn't be getting paid anything. Anything they had had already been paid out. And if anything they were planning on tightening up the rules to stop foreigners from joining.

The USA does not have its own collecting society its only revenues come from Uk and EU - specifically DACS and the German scheme. For some reason they get paid a share of this and then divvy it out amongst its members. Of course the irony is that US photographer, and presumably ASCRL member, can also claim DACS direct, or even if they do nothing Alamy will claim for them. 

I also tried to sign up to the German scheme and was told that it was only possible to be a member of one collecting society and since I was a member of DACS Payback I would have to claim for German uses through the small scheme that DACS runs every June. I am trying to do that but finding ISBNs and web uses in German isn't easy for me. 

I looked at the scheme in Canada and it is only open to Canadian residents. Then I stopped looking. 

Quite why the UK scheme is happy to pay anybody and everybody all around the world when the other schemes do not reciprocate is beyond me. 

Become a non-exec director and press to change it.

Allan

Just now, geogphotos said:

I did write to my MP. Fat lot of good that did.

Have you not sen the email from DACS?

Allan

I noticed that I had an ASCRL payment last tax year and decided to look it up and then saw this thread. From a quick scan through of the various posts am I right to conclude that Alamy claims this automatically for us and there is no need to enroll? MTIA.

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

I noticed that I had an ASCRL payment last tax year and decided to look it up and then saw this thread. From a quick scan through of the various posts am I right to conclude that Alamy claims this automatically for us and there is no need to enroll? MTIA.

I was told that there was no point joining as an overseas member as there was no money available for individual claims.

See my post above.

Unfortunately USA does not collect secondary rights revenue. The only money that ASCRL receives it is given by collecting societies in other countries.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I was told that there was no point joining as an overseas member as there was no money available for individual claims.

See my post above.

Unfortunately USA does not collect secondary rights revenue. The only money that ASCRL receives it is given by collecting societies in other countries.

geogphotos - many thanks! 🍻