Jump to content
  • 0

Royalty Free or Rights Managed?


Question

Is there a different in the fee charged if the license is RF vs RM? I would expect so (The RF would be higher).  Just reaching out to get some perspectives on this.... I read in Alamy's instructions guide that they recommend RF, but I have personal (bad) experience with a client that has this right, and I wish they didn't, as they've used my image over and over and over, AND even have the right to distribute to others who promote tourism of the same area (this was a term I will never accept in an agreement again, unless the fee is reflective of this!)

 

In any case, I see the RF is the default, and so for all of my images, they are set at RF for now.  There are a few that are my stronger more important images, and i'll be sure to go in and change those to RM.  But i'd like to get a better idea on the difference between the fees for each, and if it would be a bad thing for me to change many of my images to RM (which is what I personally prefer to work with).

 

Thanks!

 

TB (just finished uploading about another 200+ images over the past month or so- boy it sure is time consuming for an analytical, detail-oriented perfectionist like myself!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I do much the same as Betty. If the subject of an image is generic (i.e. nothing special) and contains no "property" or isolated people, I often make it RF. For instance, with plants (especially flowers), if there are lots of similar images available, I'll make it RF. However, if it's a relatively rare plant or if I think the composition is exceptional in some way, I stick with RM. Does this strategy work? I have no idea. I've had a few high $$ and $$$ plant licenses, and they were all RM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 10/03/2021 at 11:17, Tawna Brown said:

Is there a different in the fee charged if the license is RF vs RM? I would expect so (The RF would be higher).  Just reaching out to get some perspectives on this.... I read in Alamy's instructions guide that they recommend RF, but I have personal (bad) experience with a client that has this right, and I wish they didn't, as they've used my image over and over and over, AND even have the right to distribute to others who promote tourism of the same area (this was a term I will never accept in an agreement again, unless the fee is reflective of this!)

 

In any case, I see the RF is the default, and so for all of my images, they are set at RF for now.  There are a few that are my stronger more important images, and i'll be sure to go in and change those to RM.  But i'd like to get a better idea on the difference between the fees for each, and if it would be a bad thing for me to change many of my images to RM (which is what I personally prefer to work with).

 

Thanks!

 

TB (just finished uploading about another 200+ images over the past month or so- boy it sure is time consuming for an analytical, detail-oriented perfectionist like myself!)

 

If there are people and/or property in your RF images and you don't have releases, you might want to consider checking the "for editorial use only" box in the image manager. Best of luck.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Joe DiMaggio was my childhood hero. I may have been the only Yankee fan in Brooklyn. It forced me to learn to fight. 

 

 

 

 

i'm a bit too young for DiMaggio...  Le Grand Orange, Rusty Staub would be my first childhood hero..  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Joe DiMaggio was my childhood hero. I may have been the only Yankee fan in Brooklyn. It forced me to learn to fight. 

 

a-fans-new-york-yankee-baseball-cap-2EW8

You would have learned to fight meaner if you were “A boy named Sue” (Johnny Cash)

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjGvJ7OiLHvAhXDHM0KHToVAN8QyCkwAnoECAcQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWOHPuY88Ry4&usg=AOvVaw3xz8O6NBrGuqnjYQJvCyKT

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I do much the same as Betty. If the subject of an image is generic (i.e. nothing special) and contains no "property" or isolated people, I often make it RF. For instance, with plants (especially flowers), if there are lots of similar images available, I'll make it RF. However, if it's a relatively rare plant or if I think the composition is exceptional in some way, I stick with RM. Does this strategy work? I have no idea. I've had a few high $$ and $$$ plant licenses, and they were all RM.

I’ve had 20 RF plant licenses. 21 if I count a green wheat field.

Just did a count. 39 RM plant licenses. Yet I’m sure I have way more RM total images than RF to be licensed.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had 20 RF plant licenses. 21 if I count a green wheat field.

Just did a count. 39 RM plant licenses. Yet I’m sure I have way more RM total images than RF to be licensed.

 

It sounds as if your strategy might be paying off. I don't really make enough plant sales to judge if mine is working. Now that spring is springing here, I hope to add more plant images and do some additional experimenting with RF. As it is, my PU plant sales tend to fetch higher fees than my RF ones, which are often $.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.