Can you still take photos outside during the UK lockdown?

dunstun365

Question

Yippee! I just had my 1st. sale this month on alamy, I was beginning to think it would never happen although I have quite a few DLs on other sites so photgraphy can no longer be classed as a hobby but can you still go out just to take photos? 

Edited by dunstun365
new info
  • Love 2

10 answers to this question

4 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

It really depends on the police and how they interpret the lockdown laws (which seems variable at best)

If you work as a photographer professionally i.e. press or property then you can do it as your job.

not the UK, but Ontario, where are rules are similar, but left to way more "interpretation" from the police, we recently had a TV camera crew, from a MSM local station,  stopped by the police from doing their job at a protest, the police deemed then non-essential .  of course it had nothing to do with fact the crew was including filming police as part of the report 🙄 

6 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

not the UK, but Ontario, where are rules are similar, but left to way more "interpretation" from the police, we recently had a TV camera crew, from a MSM local station,  stopped by the police from doing their job at a protest, the police deemed then non-essential .  of course it had nothing to do with fact the crew was including filming police as part of the report 🙄 

We have had an electoral candidate being fined for shooting a campaign video along with all his crew. We have elections scheduled for May and campaigning is ostensibly banned, which is rather worrying, to put it mildly.

I don't say it's intentional, but it does suit an incompetent government to have the spotlight elsewhere.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I'm only traveling localy on my bicycle so they definately can not stop me doing that & you have to cycle quite a few miles to get the benifit if it's for excercise. They complained about boris johnson biking 7 miles but there was nothing wrong with that

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 15:34, Mr Standfast said:

...and well done for the first sale!

thank you. The photo that sold was covid related and is in the green bar. I've only recently figured out how to get the green bar showing fror submissions.

Edited by dunstun365

11 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Don't worry about it. Only a quarter of mine are in the green.

43 minutes ago, dunstun365 said:

thank you. The photo that sold was covid related and is in the green bar. I've only recently figured out how to get the green bar showing fror submissions.

That got me curious.  I have about 10% of my images with a Green bar, and not a single one have ever been licensed. 

7 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

That got me curious.  I have about 10% of my images with a Green bar, and not a single one have ever been licensed. 

Alamy have confirmed it doesn't make any difference to ranking IIRC. We've been here before, but indeed if you stuff your tags just to get to green you're likely to suffer from irrelevant search returns.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

Very likely the topicality of the shot got the sale not the green bar. Again well done.

Just very quietly walk away from the green bar...

don't make any sudden movements...

From a search of the Alamy Blog:-

https://www.alamy.com/blog/questions-we-get-asked-about-alamy-image-manager

Particularly

Discoverability

Probably the most commonly raised topic we get asked about is the new ‘discoverability’ bar which appears on all images in AIM. The discoverability bar is not in any way ‘reading’ or ‘scoring’ the quality of your metadata, it simply increases with the volume of searchable information you enter.

Searchable information includes not only captions and tags but also the ‘optional information’; number of people, property, date taken, location, primary and secondary categories.

It is not a requirement for you to add extra information here as your images are already on sale and can be seen by customers, it’s optional. Sometimes, possibly more often than not, you may have an image that doesn’t require the ‘full quota’ of tags and information and its fine to leave these without boosting discoverability further.

My emphasis.

Good luck and stay safe.

Edited by Mr Standfast
Shortened