Price confusion on image sale

DeeC

Question

Can anyone point me to an explanation of image sale prices? I haven't been active on Alamy for a while, but I just sold an image and I do not understand the pricing at all.

The sale was royalty-free 5MB, which the image page says should cost £140.00. However, the price the image was sold for was $3.41.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Many thanks,
Dee

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, DeeC said:

Can anyone point me to an explanation of image sale prices? I haven't been active on Alamy for a while, but I just sold an image and I do not understand the pricing at all.

The sale was royalty-free 5MB, which the image page says should cost £140.00. However, the price the image was sold for was $3.41.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Many thanks,
Dee

it all depends on the usage, and the deal negotiated with buyer.  

Not sure where you see the  £140.00. For example anyone off the street buying for personal use would pay £9.99 based on the one i just tried

as for $3.41, this looks like either a distributor sale, or one of the deeply discounted client, sadly this is where the market has moved

Edited by meanderingemu

Yes, it was a distributor sale, so I only actually get $1 out of that. Photo was used for a website.

Expand "Choose a royalty-free license" under "Buy this stock image now". It is the Medium size option - this matches the sale information - royalty-free license 1580x1046px

https://bit.ly/3o3095B - for the image page.

Edited by DeeC
extra info

15 minutes ago, DeeC said:

Yes, it was a distributor sale, so I only actually get $1 out of that. Photo was used for a website.

Expand "Choose a royalty-free license" under "Buy this stock image now". It is the Medium size option - this matches the sale information - royalty-free license 1580x1046px

https://bit.ly/3o3095B - for the image page.

lovely image

yeah distributor sales are hard to swallow..  the only reason i haven't opted out, is under the, potential false, illusion that any sale helps the image up in the search engine  

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

lovely image

yeah distributor sales are hard to swallow..  the only reason i haven't opted out, is under the, potential false, illusion that any sale helps the image up in the search engine  

was curious and did a search, my last two distro sales do actually rank high in subject specific searches.  not sure where they did before however...

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

lovely image

Thank you :o)
Good to know. Higher rankings in the search results definitely should help.
I just need to get my bum in gear and start uploading more images. I've been my own worst enemy.

Hello Dee,

I have the same problem.

2016 I joined Alamy, 1,5 years later in 2018 I made my first two sales, each 150 USD (75 for me).

Now I sold a picture for 2.54 USD!!! Thats a joke... And it's not even for personal use:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 January 2021
End: 01 January 2026

I will observe that, if it doesn't change this year and I only earn very little money for one picture, I will be gone. Sad, because finally I start to have regular sales, but it is what it is... I could imagine on Shutterstock there is more money to be made, LOL.

Anna

Edited by Annamarias

On 29/12/2020 at 23:32, meanderingemu said:

was curious and did a search, my last two distro sales do actually rank high in subject specific searches.  not sure where they did before however...

One of my distro sales has a very high ranking. At least I am assuming it was distro because the article it was used on credits Getty and I’m not on there. It then sold again later, possibly helped by its ranking. I think generally images that have sold get bumped up, but I don’t really have enough data yet to be sure about that. 

Edited by Cal

The price calculator bears no relationship whatever to real-world prices that Alamy's clients have negotiated. I don't think I've had one much closer than half what it said, and that was a long time ago. As was the last time I worried about it.

With a lot more images you could expect to get a better spread of prices- the average for most of us is still in the tens of dollars.

Edited by spacecadet

7 hours ago, Annamarias said:

Hello Dee,

I have the same problem.

2016 I joined Alamy, 1,5 years later in 2018 I made my first two sales, each 150 USD (75 for me).

Now I sold a picture for 2.54 USD!!! Thats a joke... And it's not even for personal use:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 January 2021
End: 01 January 2026

I will observe that, if it doesn't change this year and I only earn very little money for one picture, I will be gone. Sad, because finally I start to have regular sales, but it is what it is... I could imagine on Shutterstock there is more money to be made, LOL.

Anna

Thanks Anna, that looks just like mine. I was mostly keeping my account alive because the images sell for more on Alamy, but I was going to make more effort to increase my photo presence. I'm not sure if it's worth it now. I average about $1 per sale on Adobe, but I sell frequently, so I make a lot more there, and sometimes I'll get a higher value sale too. Good luck with your sales!

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The price calculator bears no relationship whatever to real-world prices that Alamy's clients have negotiated. I don't think I've had one much closer than half what it said, and that was a long time ago. As was the last time I worried about it.

With a lot more images you could expect to get a better spread of prices- the average for most of us is still in the tens of dollars.

Good to know, thank you. That makes sense, just sucks for us I guess. Oh well. Hopefully I'll be doing a lot more photography this year, so I'll see how it goes.