Updating or changing restrictions on images after "managing images."

Dear Colleagues,

I have discovered to my dismay that I have misinterpreted the "restrictions" protocol and "mis-restricted" many of my images, intending to make many of them only for "Editorial" usage.

Truly a "Duh-O!" moment, proving conclusively that I am not the sharpest lens in the case.

Nonetheless, I wonder if any of you might know of a way of going back into my images that are now out there on the market with Alamy and editing the "restrictions" or eliminating them altogether.

Please feel free to email me directly at frank@dimarcoimages.com if you wish.  Best regards to all, Frank 

Dear Colleagues,

I have discovered to my dismay that I have misinterpreted the "restrictions" protocol and "mis-restricted" many of my images, intending to make many of them only for "Editorial" usage.

Truly a "Duh-O!" moment, proving conclusively that I am not the sharpest lens in the case.

Nonetheless, I wonder if any of you might know of a way of going back into my images that are now out there on the market with Alamy and editing the "restrictions" or eliminating them altogether.

Please feel free to email me directly at frank@dimarcoimages.com if you wish.  Best regards to all, Frank 

The same way as you first applied the restrictions, Frank, but use the batch process to make it quicker, viz:

1. From 'My Alamy open up 'Manage Images v2.4'
  2. Add all the images whose restrictions you wish to edit to the batch process bar at the bottom of the page.
  3. Alter as necessary/required and click 'Save all changes'
  4. Done

Thanks, Danny,

Just to be sure I understand....do you mean it is possible to go to my images again once I've completed the "Manage My Images" process and edit the restrictions?

I wasn't aware of a way to add the images once the "Manage My Images" process was complete.

I'm going to give it a try and thank you for your time in answering my query.

Best regards,

Frank 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I sound silly. Just checking if I am doing it right. If say I want to limit usage to Editorial only, I go to restrictions tab, then down to Usage and pick restriction. Correct?

Just want to make sure that the Editorial option is for allowing Editorial usage, not for forbidding it. OK?

Images without releases (property or model) are by definition here not suitable for commercial use: the end user understands (should understand) that.  By definition then, without releases, on Alamy your images become editorial by default, i.e. you don't have to do anything beyond declaring that you have no releases.

Should you want to restrict usage for whatever reason (for example, the image may have been sold elsewhere with agreed exclusivity in that country, or maybe it's a portrait that you do not want used in connection with any sensitive issues, or a myriad of other possible reasons), then you may apply restrictions.

Ultimately, so long as you have been clear and honest about releases (or lack of them); the content of your image and your legal right to take (and thereafter market) the image in the first place (due to your physical location, how the image was obtained, etc.), then it is down to the licensee to ensure that they have the legal right to publish - and how.

Others with vastly more experience than me may well be bale to add to this or correct me if I have erred in my understanding, but I believe that this is the basic premise.

Surely by coincidence, I received an email from member services this morning asking me to check my restricted images suggesting that clients are rather frightened by restrictions and keep away from them. They offered to do it for me. But it's not difficult, just go to Manage Images, set the filter to "restricted images" and up they should pop ready for you to change of remove restrictions. If you have a lot, this may take some time, but I only had a couple.

I got the same email and have decided to remove unnecessary restrictions on most of the images I had restricted. I found a quick way of removing all of the restrictions on a batch of images if that is what is required. Use the restriction filter, then drag the images to the batch box at the bottom of the screen, click on the restrictions tab to bring up the restrictions dialog as descibed above.

Now the slightly different bit: click the restrictions option box and save. This gets rid of all the restrictions on that batch. This may be obvious in any case but maybe it will help somebody.

Archived