Adobe Bridge Freezing

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

I'm using version 10.1.1.166.  The last couple of days it has gone into freeze mode when editing in Camera Raw.  It stays frozen for a couple of minutes then the iMac reboots itself and gives me the option to send reports to Apple which I do.  Very frustrating.

Anyone any ideas please ?

Thank you.

Carol

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I'm using version 10.1.1.166.  The last couple of days it has gone into freeze mode when editing in Camera Raw.  It stays frozen for a couple of minutes then the iMac reboots itself and gives me the option to send reports to Apple which I do.  Very frustrating.

Anyone any ideas please ?

Thank you.

Carol

Don't know if you are using a stand alone version or CC? I am using CC, but in the past I've contacted Adobe and

they have been very helpful via online chat.

Chuck

Many thanks Chuck - I'm also using CC.  I did try clearing the cache at first but then as you suggested contacted Adobe online chat.  At first the guy wanted remote access to my iMac - I didn't think that was such a good idea.  Anyway he then told me what to do by way of rectifying the problem.  This was not easy as I am really not that tekky.  I have to say this guy had the patience of a saint !  Hopefully we got there in the end by way of renaming a particular file somewhere or other within the system.  Will see how it goes, I've had a quick play around but probably not enough to trust it as yet....

Thank you again

Carol

If it is crashing in Camera Raw, then it may have nothing to do with Bridge itself. Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is a separate program.

Given that you have CC, I would suggest installing Lightroom Classic, importing a few raw images and then seeing if you can convert them. The Develop module interface in Lightroom Classic is very similar to the new ACR interface so it should not be difficult, even if you have never used Lightroom. The conversion engine in Lightroom is exactly the same as ACR so doing that would indicate whether it is Bridge or ACR that is causing the problem.

Or you can ignore that last paragraph and follow this one instead as I just thought of it. You don't even need to use Bridge or Lightroom to use ACR, so double clicking a raw image in the finder should open ACR (if not then it is simple to assign ACR as the default converter for any type of raw file. If that doesn't cause crashes, then you know it is something to do with Bridge. If it does try the Lightroom idea. 

Edited by MDM

On 19/12/2020 at 10:27, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks Chuck - I'm also using CC.  I did try clearing the cache at first but then as you suggested contacted Adobe online chat.  At first the guy wanted remote access to my iMac - I didn't think that was such a good idea.  Anyway he then told me what to do by way of rectifying the problem.  This was not easy as I am really not that tekky.  I have to say this guy had the patience of a saint !  Hopefully we got there in the end by way of renaming a particular file somewhere or other within the system.  Will see how it goes, I've had a quick play around but probably not enough to trust it as yet....

Thank you again

Carol

Carol,

The only way a "Real Adobe Tec" can solved a problem is with remote access.  That is the way they solved my problems.  

Just make sure that you are dealing with Adobe, not some private service that advertises on Google, Had that happen to

me once and it was a disaster.

FYI,  I do not keep any passwords loaded on my PC (don't know about Macs)

Good luck,

Chuck

You know you are using an older version of Bridge. Does your machine run the latest 2021 version. If so update it. One thing you also could try also is disabling the GPU and seeing if that has any effect. Go to Camera Raw Preferences (in the latest version under the Adobe Bridge menu, Camera Raw Preferences, Performance and turn Use Graphics Processor off).

Edited by MDM

53 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Carol,

The only way a "Real Adobe Tec" can solved a problem is with remote access.  That is the way they solved my problems.  

Just make sure that you are dealing with Adobe, not some private service that advertises on Google, Had that happen to

me once and it was a disaster.

FYI,  I do not keep any passwords loaded on my PC (don't know about Macs)

Good luck,

Chuck

Many thanks Chuck, I will give it some thought if I contact them again and will definately check I have no personal info on the iMac.

36 minutes ago, MDM said:

You know you are using an older version of Bridge. Does your machine run the latest 2021 version. If so update it. One thing you also could try also is disabling the GPU and seeing if that has any effect. Go to Camera Raw Preferences (in the latest version under the Adobe Bridge menu, Camera Raw Preferences, Performance and turn Use Graphics Processor off).

I think I'm using the latest version of Bridge/Camera Raw it updates on auto through CC and I checked also yesterday with Adobe.

This afternoon I decided to remove some folders onto a couple of external hard drives, I only keep a few folders on the iMac anyway and now there are fewer.  Anyway the good news is that after I had done that I opened Bridge again and I've been able to edit/process 17 images without a problem ! Long may it continue !  I still have more to process so fingers crossed.  If things go wrong again, I will take your valuable advice.

Thank you both for all your assistance it is very much appreciated !

Carol

7 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I think I'm using the latest version of Bridge/Camera Raw it updates on auto through CC and I checked also yesterday with Adobe.

This afternoon I decided to remove some folders onto a couple of external hard drives, I only keep a few folders on the iMac anyway and now there are fewer.  Anyway the good news is that after I had done that I opened Bridge again and I've been able to edit/process 17 images without a problem ! Long may it continue !  I still have more to process so fingers crossed.  If things go wrong again, I will take your valuable advice.

Thank you both for all your assistance it is very much appreciated !

Carol

Ok I was just going by your initial post where you say you are using Bridge 10. The latest is 11.

In general for problems with Adobe software, their forums are a lot better than contacting their customer service as the users tend to be a lot more knowledgeable and usually somebody else will have reported something similar. 

43 minutes ago, MDM said:

Ok I was just going by your initial post where you say you are using Bridge 10. The latest is 11.

In general for problems with Adobe software, their forums are a lot better than contacting their customer service as the users tend to be a lot more knowledgeable and usually somebody else will have reported something similar. 

Apologies it is me getting confused.  When I go into Adobe Bridge and click "about" it says Version 10.1.1.166.  However, when I click on CC it says Bridge V.11 - up to date.

Carol

22 minutes ago, MDM said:

Maybe you have two versions installed and you are using the older one. Check your applications folder and start using the new one. 

Many thanks again, it appears I'm using Bridge 2020 but I've just checked and found 2021 !  I will now try closing 2020 and opening 2021....

Ok I have now closed down the 2020 version and successfully opened the 2021 version - many thanks again.  Sometimes the obvious to me is not that obvious !  Anyway it seems to be working at the moment and hopefully long may it continue......

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change of wording

Creative Cloud installs newer versions of Photoshop and Bridge and keeps older ones unless you select to remove them I think and the older icons point to the older versions so it is easy to mix up. However, I don’t think your problem is likely to be related to Bridge, more likely ACR, and there will only be one version of that. Hopefully it has sorted itself out. 

25 minutes ago, MDM said:

Creative Cloud installs newer versions of Photoshop and Bridge and keeps older ones unless you select to remove them I think and the older icons point to the older versions so it is easy to mix up. However, I don’t think your problem is likely to be related to Bridge, more likely ACR, and there will only be one version of that. Hopefully it has sorted itself out. 

I think you are right about it related to ACR but at least now I am using the correct version of Bridge.  I just thought the version I was using was automatically updated to the newer one but hey ho learn something new every day😀  Thank you again and I hope it will be ok now....

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I think you are right about it related to ACR but at least now I am using the correct version of Bridge.  I just thought the version I was using was automatically updated to the newer one but hey ho learn something new every day😀  Thank you again and I hope it will be ok now....

Carol

Don’t feel bad, Carol.  When I opened from ACR to Bridge, the machine was opening the older Bridge rather than the newer. I didn’t realize it forever, and to this day am shakily unsure if it’s working right now. We can go soak our heads together. 😊

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t feel bad, Carol.  When I opened from ACR to Bridge, the machine was opening the older Bridge rather than the newer. I didn’t realize it forever, and to this day am shakily unsure if it’s working right now. We can go soak our heads together. 😊

Absolutely Betty delighted to soak our heads together😄  Having now changed to the correct version of Bridge, I thought I would check I was using the correct version of PS.....Again it turned out I was using the 2020 version not the 2021 version !  I have now rectified this also......All this and we haven't even got into 2021 yet.  Hoping everything will still work ok🙏

Carol

• Love 1