Saturated or Standard image

I believe the images with the greatest impact are high contrast and saturated images, however maybe most people don't. One of the Nikon options is to set the "image enhancement" to VIVID, STANDARD etc... Would you recommend a more "standard" look (bit flat and slightly less punchy) for picture buyers and from a technical point of view?

Personally I shoot in RAW and then adjust in PS or LR. As far as saturated, vivid etc I go with what is right for me. If you think that one presentation sells better than another why not submit the same (or different) images in two pseudos and see if there is a difference in sales performance? I have not noticed a difference personally.

dov

Generally, I shoot RAW.  When I import images into Lightroom, most of the time I will go to the camera calibration area and I will select the in-camera profile and then sync it with the rest of the images.  If I'm shooting with my 5D MK III, MOST of the time I will use the Landscape Canon picture style.  I especially like to use this setting when I shoot people in studio.  If I'm shooting people, I will then back off saturation in individual channels (usually the red channel for women though there is one model I work with that looks better when de-saturating the yellow channel based on her skin tone).

I have various presets that mimic film.  I will use these primarily - usually Velvia, sometimes Reala, sometimes Fuji Pro 160C or S.

If I'm shooting with my Fuji cameras, I will shoot RAW and JPG.  I like the Velvia pre-set on the Fuji cameras better than my Lightroom preset and the x100S has it's own "look" so many times I will keep the jpg without editing.

I will never JUST adjust saturation.  If I'm working from scratch with a RAW file, I will adjust white point, black point, vibrance, clarity, shadows, highlights, etc. to get the look I want.  I very rarely adjust contrast.  Many times I will de-saturate an image or remove contrast.

I also tend to work with my white balance quite a bit.

I shoot in RAW and then use Photoshop to create an image as realistic looking as possible (not that I always succeed). This means no overexposed bright areas nor pitch-black shadows. I want to see in my pictures the same details as I see in real-life. Therefore, I often open twice the same RAW-file: once with the highlights corrected and once with the shadows corrected. And then I combine the best areas of the two versions in layers.

Next job are colour corrections which could mean also adding some saturation. Digital grass always looks too yellow. So, I have to correct that as well to give it a more natural appearance.

Though I shoot buildings with a tilt & shift lens, I still apply some additional straightening to the walls if needed.

Perfect pictures, straight out of the box? Yeah! ........................ in your dreams :D

Cheers,

Philippe

That all sounds very labour-intensive. Do you find that putting so much time and effort into each image actually pays off given today's low prices?

Archived