Jose Decio Molaro

Question

7 answers to this question

Hello Jose, as a starting point...

This is a link to the IPTC website.

https://iptc.org/about-iptc/

and the section that covers metadata

https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/

For a Jpeg file you can edit metadata (keywords captions etc) in the Library module of Lightroom before you upload to Alamy.

I'm sure this raises more questions!

Stay safe.

🦔

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

Good afternoon
What does IPTC information mean, I am new to Alamy and still cannot understand ....
Can anyone help?

I don’t know what software you are using to adjust your photos. I have Adobe CC subscription.  When I take a photo and load it into the software, I can look at my photos in Bridge, a part of the CC subscription, (consisting of Lightroom, ACR and Bridge) I see images I’ve downloaded from my camera card to my computer.  If I highlight an image in Bridge, over to the right there is a panel that tells what camera I used, what lens was on the camera, and even the distance, such as the lens was zoomed to 58mm on a 18-200 zoom lens. That is IPTC information. If I put copyright information along with my name in the camera when setting it up, that will be included in IPTC, also the date the picture was taken.
Alamy requires that information so that when they look at your images, they can see what camera was used and if it is an approved-for-Alamy camera.

Your camera should automatically attach this information to your photos. Just be sure you don’t go into an editing program and strip (delete) that information. Alamy will fail all images that does not have the IPTC information. And if you are using certain cameras not deemed good enough to produce consistently good images, Alamy will see the camera model in IPTC and fail your images and advise you why. Then is when you’ll need to upgrade to a better camera/lens or forget the stock business. Examples of cameras that won’t make the grade can be some that shoot only jpeg, not RAW.
Hope this helps.

Betty

• Thanks 1

As you can see from the above links 'IPTC' stands for  the  International Press Telecommunications Council and they create standards for all sorts of areas of the media, so video, audio, text and of course images. On here 'IPTC' is simply used as shorthand for the information we can add to our images using the appropriate software and is also called 'metadata'. Captions and Keywords are examples of IPTC metadata and if you enter these before uploading your images to Alamy they will be automatically imported along with your images.

EXIF (Exchangeable Image Format' is another form of metadata but this is entered automatically by your camera and in the main you can't edit it, though you can, as has been mentioned above, strip it out, either intentionally or unintentionally. This is the information about your camera, lens, aperture, shutter speed etc. and Alamy insist on it being included for your very first 3 submissions but after that I don't think you need to, though you may as well.

Both types of metadata are actually embedded in your jpegs in a defined standardised fashion separate to the digital information that makes up the image itself. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, noelbennett said:

What other IPTC information is required on a live view news image?

That is explained here:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-news-images/captions-headlines-dates-live-news-images/?section=3

For Live News the IPTC Headline field is used as an overall description of all images in that news event and is of course the same across all the images. The individual images are described separately in the Caption field using precisely the format that Alamy request.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

That is explained here:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-news-images/captions-headlines-dates-live-news-images/?section=3

For Live News the IPTC Headline field is used as an overall description of all images in that news event and is of course the same across all the images. The individual images are described separately in the Caption field using precisely the format that Alamy request.

Thanks for that. much appreciated.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

As you can see from the above links 'IPTC' stands for  the  International Press Telecommunications Council and they create standards for all sorts of areas of the media, so video, audio, text and of course images. On here 'IPTC' is simply used as shorthand for the information we can add to our images using the appropriate software and is also called 'metadata'. Captions and Keywords are examples of IPTC metadata and if you enter these before uploading your images to Alamy they will be automatically imported along with your images.

EXIF (Exchangeable Image Format' is another form of metadata but this is entered automatically by your camera and in the main you can't edit it, though you can, as has been mentioned above, strip it out, either intentionally or unintentionally. This is the information about your camera, lens, aperture, shutter speed etc. and Alamy insist on it being included for your very first 3 submissions but after that I don't think you need to, though you may as well.

Both types of metadata are actually embedded in your jpegs in a defined standardised fashion separate to the digital information that makes up the image itself. 

Thanks for correcting and clarifying what I said, Harry. I probably was more wrong than right.

• Love 1