Johnston Press to relaunch title with 75pc user-generated content

Alex Todd

In the report in your initial post the paper uses the term, "the Bourne experiment", lets hope it becomes "the Bourne redemption".

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost like the domino effect. One company ditches their photogs in favour of crowd sourcing and they're now all wanting in on it. I saw a French newspaper today that printed the paper with only white boxes where the pictures would have gone in support of photographers. Not because I'm a photographer, but I sincerely believe that the industry is making a huge mistake, penny pinching like this. 

I actually didn't know who JP were. On further reading, it seems they have a good few papers under their belt from my region. That could well be people that have spoken to. Guys I admire for their work and now could possibly face the chop. 

It's almost like the domino effect. One company ditches their photogs in favour of crowd sourcing and they're now all wanting in on it. I saw a French newspaper today that printed the paper with only white boxes where the pictures would have gone in support of photographers. Not because I'm a photographer, but I sincerely believe that the industry is making a huge mistake, penny pinching like this. 

I actually didn't know who JP were. On further reading, it seems they have a good few papers under their belt from my region. That could well be people that have spoken to. Guys I admire for their work and now could possibly face the chop. 

Did you take a picture of it?!!!

He's speaking about the Libération newspaper, from the 14 November: http://journal.liberation.fr/publication/liberation/1395/#!/0_0

Article in english (with photos) discussing this: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2307127/french-newspaper-removes-all-images-in-support-of-photographers

-Jason

He's speaking about the Libération newspaper, from the 14 November: http://journal.liberation.fr/publication/liberation/1395/#!/0_0

Article in english (with photos) discussing this: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2307127/french-newspaper-removes-all-images-in-support-of-photographers

-Jason

Thanks, Jason.  The second link shows what I'd expected someone to take photos of...very powerful, too.

It possible the standards of journalism and photography might improve if the public write for them. I am frequently appalled at how terrible the quality of both are in my local paper - produced by JP.

Perhaps they are going under, slowly - like a dinosaur becoming extinct.

This is could be a last ditch attempt to try to modernise, but sadly one which I fear will fail, if they apply the same standards of management that JP usually applies.

Archived