Has anyone noticed that the Canon UK prices for camera equipment seems to be rather overinflated in the UK compared to Nikon?

Here are some examples of two equivalent cameras (well almost)

From WEX (non promotion prices)

Canon 5D Mk IV body £2787

Nikon D850 body £2549

From B&H in the USA (non promotion prices)

Canon 5D Mk IV body $2499

Nikon D850 body $2997

The US pricing seems to be the correct way around.

With the new Canon R5 having just been launched it seems that Canon UK have also hiked up the UK prices.

I bought a Canon EF 24-70 f4 L IS USM lens from WEX in May this year for £629. It has now increased by £150 to £779.

Edited by MB Photography

I've been thinking about this too. If I'd won the premium bonds this month I might have bought an R5 - well I can dream!

In the UK you pay £ 4,199. In the US $ 3,899 which equates to £ 2,897. Yes £1,300 difference or a 45% uplift on the price. Now I know that US prices are quoted excluding sales tax, but even then this differential can't really be justified. To make it worse, Canon have applied a "Shipping Restriction" which means that you can't buy from a US retailer and have it shipped to the UK. Cartel or what?

• Like 2

Here in Australia i too have noticed Canon's prices rising ..I sold a Canon f4-5.6 100 to 400L ii that i had for 5 years....i actually made money on the resale on eBay..I have bought and sold a few lenses recently on Ebay.If you know what the retail cost is and of course what you are prepared to pay then you can buy very well indeed....You need some luck too in an auction that bidders do not push up the true market value of the lens far too close to new price..( i like to buy mint to new condition ) I have done very well in my purchases..

I too was excited by the new Canon R5 and R lenses...but the cost is just silly so i resisted, i invested more into my excellent EF mount lenses and upgraded my  Canon 5D3 to the 5D4...i am more than happy with that approach....😀

Edited by William Caram
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 11:51, Russell said:

I've been thinking about this too. If I'd won the premium bonds this month I might have bought an R5 - well I can dream!

In the UK you pay £ 4,199. In the US $ 3,899 which equates to £ 2,897. Yes £1,300 difference or a 45% uplift on the price. Now I know that US prices are quoted excluding sales tax, but even then this differential can't really be justified. To make it worse, Canon have applied a "Shipping Restriction" which means that you can't buy from a US retailer and have it shipped to the UK. Cartel or what?

I think this is just the start. After 31/12/2020 the UK will no longer be subject to EU law. Canon Europe can therefore impose shipping restrictions on its EU retailers without breaking EU law. Treasure Island is back just like it was in the 80s.

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It won't need to. Import duty and VAT will make the price unattractive.

Oh yes, I forgot the UK Photographic Equipment import duty that we had to pay on all foreign imports and VAT on top of the total amount.

Don't forget that Canon UK will also not honour any guarantee if you buy from abroad.

On 04/09/2020 at 15:38, MB Photography said:

Don't forget that Canon UK will also not honour any guarantee if you buy from abroad.

Are you sure? I though Canon lenses carried an International Warranty. Not sure about camera bodies.