Hello friends, need some feedback please

Dear photographers, can someone give me some tips about some improvements i need to implement on my portfolio, thanks! 

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={2339BB7F-1D11-4051-AF52-E5F21CCA5701}&name=Vitor_Portugal&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

Edited by Vitor from Portugal

I only looked at the first page of your images, but they looked good.

Varied images with good titles and keywords (tags).

Keep loading and you should see consistent sales.

John.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, MDM said:

Nikon have an excellent selection of full frame cameras. Why change to a Sony?

Maybe the OP is looking to go mirrorless - where Sony currently are the market leader. But regardless, he will need to replace all his lenses if going full frame. At which point, you get a choice of which system to use.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Maybe the OP is looking to go mirrorless - where Sony currently are the market leader. But regardless, he will need to replace all his lenses if going full frame. At which point, you get a choice of which system to use.

Nikon have a range of excellent mirrorless cameras now which can use most older Nikon lenses with a Nikon adapter. I was just wondering If had he any particular features in mind that are available on Sony and not on Nikon. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

Nikon have a range of excellent mirrorless cameras now which can use most older Nikon lenses with a Nikon adapter. I was just wondering If had he any particular features in mind that are available on Sony and not on Nikon. 

Guess he'll let us know! Er... I thought that you would normally use full frame lenses for DSLR cameras on a mirrorless full frame camera with an adaptor, and APS-C lenses wouldn't be suitable?

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Guess he'll let us know! Er... I thought that you would normally use full frame lenses for DSLR cameras on a mirrorless full frame camera with an adaptor, and APS-C lenses wouldn't be suitable?

But he might have full frame Nikon lenses as these work on Nikon DX cameras. 🙂  Nikon accessories (flashguns, cables etc) should also be 100% compatible. Even the first generation Nikon mirrorless cameras are up with the Sonys in many respects and better in some, as Nikon have been updating the firmware regularly. I guess the choice would be down to intended usage. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

That's my point 👍 https://m.dpreview.com/articles/8606487746/sony-a7-iii-vs-canon-eos-r-vs-nikon-z6-which-is-best

Edited by Vitor from Portugal
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Vitor from Portugal said:

That review was done when the Z6 had just come out. There have been major firmware improvements since and there is a recent updated review on dpreview where the Z6 scores a lot higher. Best is always relative to what you need anyway. The Z6 with the 24-70 f4 is a superb piece of kit for general photography and has some features not on the equivalent Sony. Do check it out before you change systems.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

That review was done when the Z6 had just come out. There have been major firmware improvements since and there is a recent updated review on dpreview where the Z6 scores a lot higher. Best is always relative to what you need anyway. The Z6 with the 24-70 f4 is a superb piece of kit for general photography and has some features not on the equivalent Sony. Do check it out before you change systems.

They're all constantly trying to one-up each other with camera releases. Sony currently has the biggest available lens range, but the other two are definitely catching up. +1 to what MDM says, look at recent reviews.

I see annual camera sales continue to drop so I wonder how long 3 big players can keep trying to stay in the market. Difficult to make guesses at this stage.

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, Steve F said:

They're all constantly trying to one-up each other with camera releases. Sony currently has the biggest available lens range, but the other two are definitely catching up. +1 to what MDM says, look at recent reviews.

I see annual camera sales continue to drop so I wonder how long 3 big players can keep trying to stay in the market. Difficult to make guesses at this stage.

I don't know the numbers but if you look at Nikon's range of  F-mount lenses then I expect there are a lot more than Sony including a huge range available secondhand at very reasonable prices. The Z lenses are exceptional as well. 

If I was starting out from scratch now it would be a toss-up between Nikon and Sony primarily because the sensors in both systems are superior and Canon's first entry into FF mirrorless missed some very important features (e.g IBIS). Canon have been focusing on video in their latest mirrorless cameras but there have apparently been some really serious issues with overheating in their latest offerings despite some very high end specs. Sony have really moved in on the professional action/sports scene with their A9 series. Nikon have vastly improved their video options (e.g.raw video) in the Z series camera which is something I have been exploring. This is something that had not even entered my head a year ago. For landscapes, portraiture and general photography there is not a lot between mirrorless Nikon and Sony I think. Interesting times and nothing like a bit of competition to see specs go up and prices come down.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

I don't know the numbers but if you look at Nikon's range of  F-mount lenses then I expect there are a lot more than Sony including a huge range available secondhand at very reasonable prices. The Z lenses are exceptional as well.

I think that's likely (F-Mount lenses). I was though referring to lenses specifically made for mirrorless. I'd only use non-mirrorless lenses with an adaptor if I already owned them.

• Love 1

On 17/08/2020 at 22:10, Vitor from Portugal said:

Dear photographers, can someone give me some tips about some improvements i need to implement on my portfolio, thanks! 

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={2339BB7F-1D11-4051-AF52-E5F21CCA5701}&name=Vitor_Portugal&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

Hi Vitor, looks like a nice area of the world. You've got some nice pictures. I'm just looking at your first page. Captions (titles) are searchable by clients by the way so you should be accurate with the description of what the photo is showing.

You've got a number of images with the caption - "National park Gerês in Portugal - Parque nacional Peneda Gerês"

One image is a closeup of a footpath. Another is showing some hills/mountains. Another is showing a closeup of a lizard.

You might want to be more specific with your captions.

Steve

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I think that's likely (F-Mount lenses). I was though referring to lenses specifically made for mirrorless. I'd only use non-mirrorless lenses with an adaptor if I already owned them.

Sure same here. For me the main advantage of mirrorless is light weight and that generally means using lenses made for the system. But here is an interesting thing. Non-stabilised F-mount Nikon lenses become stabilised lenses on Z series cameras with in-body image stabilisation. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

Sure same here. For me the main advantage of mirrorless is light weight and that generally means using lenses made for the system. But here is an interesting thing. Non-stabilised F-mount Nikon lenses become stabilised lenses on Z series cameras with in-body image stabilisation. 

Yes, the lightweight size of the camera and some lenses is pretty sweet when you look at the equivalent full frame 'mirrored' camera. Slightly bragging here, just got the new Sigma 100-400 for Sony  - not small or lightweight. Very paparazzi / "you'll be having someone's eye out with that"! 🙃

I hadn't thought of that - with non-stabilised lenses becoming stabilised with the mirrorless bodies. I'm assuming most of the Nikon and Canon glass is the same as the Sony now so you get lens and in-body stabilisation?

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Steve F said:

Yes, the lightweight size of the camera and some lenses is pretty sweet when you look at the equivalent full frame DSLR camera. Slightly bragging here, just got the new Sigma 100-400 for Sony  - not small or lightweight. Very paparazzi / "you'll be having someone's eye out with that"! 🙃

I hadn't thought of that - with non-stabilised lenses becoming stabilised with the mirrorless bodies. I'm assuming most of the Nikon and Canon glass is the same as the Sony now so you get lens and in-body stabilisation?

Enjoy that 100-400 😀. I  max out at 70-200 these days.  No need for anything longer and I have developed a serious aversion to heave weights recently. 

The first Canon FF mirrorless did not have IBIS which was a surprise as I think it is part of the mirrorless world and essential for travelling light. I think the new ones have it though. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, MDM said:

Enjoy that 100-400 😀. I  max out at 70-200 these days.  No need for anything longer and I have developed a serious aversion to heave weights recently. 

The first Canon FF mirrorless did not have IBIS which was a surprise as I think it is part of the mirrorless world and essential for travelling light. I think the new ones have it though. 

Thanks, I'm trying to persuade myself it'll fit in my camera bag (it does, but not on the camera....) I need the exercise after lockdown! 😅

Well... I've got a 35mm, 90mm macro and a 24-108mm zoom. I felt like I needed a longer reach and 70-200 was a bit of an overlap. I've been photographing everything from my 9th floor flat (very Hitchock Rear Window!)

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Vitor, looks like a nice area of the world. You've got some nice pictures. I'm just looking at your first page. Captions (titles) are searchable by clients by the way so you should be accurate with the description of what the photo is showing.

You've got a number of images with the caption - "National park Gerês in Portugal - Parque nacional Peneda Gerês"

One image is a closeup of a footpath. Another is showing some hills/mountains. Another is showing a closeup of a lizard.

You might want to be more specific with your captions.

Steve

Thank You Steve 👍

• Love 1