Jump to content
  • 0

Doubt about placing accents and commas


Jose Decio Molaro
 Share

Question

Doubt about placing accents and commas
Good Morning,
I live in Brazil and I'm putting a lot of photos on Alamy, my doubt is about the use of accents and commas in the names and descriptions of the photos, in Brazil many words use accent (^, ~,) and commas (,).
Can I write everything without an accent and commas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 minute ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

Doubt about placing accents and commas
Good Morning,
I live in Brazil and I'm putting a lot of photos on Alamy, my doubt is about the use of accents and commas in the names and descriptions of the photos, in Brazil many words use accent (^, ~,) and commas (,).
Can I write everything without an accent and commas?

 

Yes the search engine ignores special characters as there are none in English although it does not do any harm either to put accents. Not sure what you mean about commas. You would need to give an example. 

 

If location is important, make sure you put in the caption and the keywords (tags). Having accurate locations in the captions and keywords might give you an advantage if anyone is looking for pictures of specific places in Brazil. You don't need to max out the number of tags either - just use relevant tags.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, MDM said:

 

.... there are none in English....

 

Plenty in Scottish Gaelic mountain names though..!  😀

 

I always include them but if there is any ambiguity (as there often is depending on which map I'm using) I will include other variations.

 

No problems about using commas in the captions but of course in keywords they will be interpreted as separators.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, Vincent Lowe said:

 

Plenty in Scottish Gaelic mountain names though..!  😀

 

I always include them but if there is any ambiguity (as there often is depending on which map I'm using) I will include other variations.

 

No problems about using commas in the captions but of course in keywords they will be interpreted as separators.

 

Yes of course, the commas would be misinterpreted. And yes each vowel in Gaelic has a long and a short form which is what the accents are for, effectively given 10 vowels. They are important in pronunciation. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thanks for the answer, in the case of the commas example:
Here is an example:

Plate with olives, salami, meat and glass of wine
Above the example of how we write in Brazil, with commas between the words
In the case of other countries, I do not know how the separation is made.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

Thanks for the answer, in the case of the commas example:
Here is an example:

Plate with olives, salami, meat and glass of wine
Above the example of how we write in Brazil, with commas between the words
In the case of other countries, I do not know how the separation is made.

Thanks

 

Ok it is fine to use commas in the captions but not in the tags as Vincent pointed out as they would be interpreted wrongly.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Please do separate your keywords (tags) with commas.

bird,bush,lake,house,person,man...whether you do it before uploading or after in Image Manager.

If you do not use commas, you'll end up with one tag like this:

birdbushlakehousepersonman

 

 But yes, as you suggested is correct for caption.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.