Submission Guidelines

AGB3

Question

Hi:

I would like to submit some images for approval.  I’ve read the submission guidelines and have a question about the 17 MB submission size for photos.  While I currently own a Fuji X camera, I have a number of images made with an older camera, a Nikon d90, with a 12 MB sensor.  

Does this mean that images made with my d90 are not eligible for submission because the MB count is too small?   I’m a bit confused about this.  By the way, I almost always shoot RAW images and then convert them to JPEG when needed.

Thanks,

7 answers to this question

Yes, you're not the first and you won't be the last to be confused, as a rule of thumb anything over 3000 x 2000 pixels is fine (so 6MP as above). Your D90 is 4288 x 2848 px so you're fine.

Incidentally often contributors will resize potentially noisy images at high ISO downwards to minimise the degradation and a lot of 'Live News' photographers may upload images close to the minimum size anyway but with your first submission play very safe, low ISO, sharp, no noise or fringing and absolutely no sensor spots.

Edit:

What Alamy mean is an image that opens in Photoshop to 17MB, so since that is for all 3 Red Green  & Blue channels it's really 17 divided by 3 megapixels, so more or less 6MP to keep the maths simple.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, you're not the first and you won't be the last to be confused, as a rule of thumb anything over 3000 x 2000 pixels is fine (so 6MP as above). Your D90 is 4288 x 2848 px so you're fine.

Incidentally often contributors will resize potentially noisy images at high ISO downwards to minimise the degradation and a lot of 'Live News' photographers may upload images close to the minimum size anyway but with your first submission play very safe, low ISO, sharp, no noise or fringing and absolutely no sensor spots.

Edit:

What Alamy mean is an image that opens in Photoshop to 17MB, so since that is for all 3 Red Green  & Blue channels it's really 17 divided by 3 megapixels, so more or less 6MP to keep the maths simple.

Sometimes an image is also resized to improve apparent sharpness.

Just throwing that in if it helps.

Allan

• Love 1

I have a lot of images taken with a D90. Only problems I've ever had with QC have all been my own fault. My first submissions were from a D40 and there's a few on here, as well.

Krisken

Edited by Krisken