Firefox 77.0.1 displays oversaturated images on wide gamut monitors

The latest version of Firefox (Version 77.0.1) has introduced a bug. It's displaying images that have no profile (e.g. Alamy jpgs) incorrectly on wide-gamut monitors. They appear oversaturated.

This topic is mentioned here

Firefox 77.0.1 is decoding the image data that has no profile as if it was encoded using the monitor's gamut, instead of sRGB. (Untagged images should be decoded as sRGB see Section 3.2 here).

I don't know if any other browsers do this. This article (3rd paragraph of section 5.1) suggest other browsers may do this too, but I've not found any yet.

To help find out I put together a simple test page here. If your system is working correctly, the first 3 images should look the same and the 4th should look duller.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
Updated URL of test page

5 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Looks good on Safari 13.1.1

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Same problem on Firefox. Chrome looks ok, no change between images on the test page apart from image 4. Wow, even Edge works ok!

Steve

Can those reporting results (good or bad) confirm if they are using a wide gamut monitors.

Mark

37 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Can those reporting results (good or bad) confirm if they are using a wide gamut monitors.

Mark

Sorry, 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 resolution) “InfinityEdge” touch display. Fairly certain it's wide gamut...

Edited by Steve F

I noticed "something different" yesterday on my DELL Ultrasharp which i think is NOT wide gamut.

I was busy doing other stuff and it just looked as though everything was more saturated than normal.

Today i notice what looks like extra saturation on two other screens (also NOT wide gamut).

I guess the people maintaining FireFox think they've "improved" the product.

GD

For me with Firefox 77.01 it is displaying the problem that you have discovered - images 1, 3 & 4 look the same but image 2 is brighter/richer.

Dell U2413 monitor (claimed 99% AdobeRGB)

I have made the recommended changes in About:Config which are supposed to fix it but there's no change for me.

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I have made the recommended changes in About:Config which are supposed to fix it but there's no change for me.

Yes the article is a bit confusing in that respect. The article describes how to turn on colour management for untagged files in Firefox. This is now broken in FF so the author inserted the second paragraph at the top saying there's a bug. Therefore, at the moment, the method he describes in the following paragraphs doesn't fix the bug mentioned in the second paragraph...:wacko: 

There's a long thread about this on DPReview forum. Firefox 77 broke color management. It seems FF have recognised there's a bug, but it's unclear when it will be fixed.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

18 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Therefore, at the moment, the method he describes in the following paragraphs doesn't fix the bug mentioned in the second paragraph...:wacko: 

OK, thanks, I misread it as just the default status having changed. Having skimmed through the long DPReview thread I'm getting that it's two linked problems:

1. The default status has changed.

2. You can't change it back again because changing the value for gfx.color_management.mode between '1' & '2' does nothing.

"The default FF behaviour was wrong according to W3C, who specify:

"Colors specified in HTML and untagged images are in the sRGB color space ([SRGB]) unless otherwise specified."

Note the wording: according to the World Wide Web Consortium, any colours not tagged with another colour space should be assumed to be sRGB, and colour-managed accordingly.  All other browsers that colour manage (i.e. not Internet Explorer or Edge until the Chromium-based version) do this, it's only FF that's out of step.

I see there's a link to another handy test page:

http://simongarrett.uk/TestColours.htm

I've checked the latest various Browsers running on Mac Mojave using the test page here with the following results, using a wide gamut (AdobeRGB) monitor profile

• Opera 68.0  (Image 1 = 2 = 3 and Image 4 duller = PASS)
  • Chrome 83.0.4103.106   (Image 1 = 2 = 3 and Image 4 duller = PASS)
  • Edge/Chromium 83.0.478.54   (Image 1 = 2 = 3 and Image 4 duller = PASS)
  • Safari 13.1   (Image 1 = 2 = 3 and Image 4 duller = PASS)
  • Firefox 77.0.1 (Image 1=2=4, and Image 2 brighter = FAIL)

So it looks like the main browsers (apart from Firefox which currently has a bug) running on Macs are correctly rendering images files which don't have a profile (e.g. Alamy images) as sRGB, on wide gamut monitors (in line with  W3C standards). This is good news.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
Updated test page URL
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I see there's a link to another handy test page:

http://simongarrett.uk/TestColours.htm

There's a nice simple one here too where the colours are side by side so easier to spot subtle differences.

https://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

Although what's not obvious (if you have a sRGB display and correct colour management) is that the coloured bars have 2 sections (upper and lower).

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

18 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Although what's not obvious (if you have a sRGB display and correct colour management) is that the coloured bars have 2 sections (upper and lower).

Yes, the 2 sections are very clear on the wide gamut display.