Titles (am I doing this wrong)

ChiTownGallery

Question

Since I'm archaic and just hate re-writing titles, tags and descriptions. I usually have  a set of images like Chicago skylines that pass. I then use the same title and tags in all of these just to get them up and on the site. Then I go back and re-adjust the tags so they are appropriate to the exact location.  I keep the titles the same though in a lot of them.

Should each title be different for better rankings

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, ChiTownGallery said:

Yes, yes, yes. A lot of your pix have a 'Route 66, USA' caption... which tells pic buyers next to nothing. Go back and describe what's actually in each image (not just the word 'attraction'!). Add the name of town and state too...

• Love 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiTownGallery said:

Since I'm archaic and just hate re-writing titles, tags and descriptions. I usually have  a set of images like Chicago skylines that pass. I then use the same title and tags in all of these just to get them up and on the site. Then I go back and re-adjust the tags so they are appropriate to the exact location.  I keep the titles the same though in a lot of them.

Thanks in advance

The title should sum up what the image portrays, so if the images are similar then the titles could be similar too.

To get the images on sale I too use mostly the same title for a batch as they are usually of the same subject. Once they are on sale I will tweak the titles if need be.

For a title I try and imagine describing the photo to someone that cannot see the image. It's surprising what basic information you sometimes miss that you don't think about at first.

John.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Yes, yes, yes. A lot of your pix have a 'Route 66, USA' caption... which tells pic buyers next to nothing. Go back and describe what's actually in each image (not just the word 'attraction'!). Add the name of town and state too...

Yes, thanks for reminding me about the route 66 pics. I will have to go back and fine tune them.

based on anecdotal tests i did, terms in caption seem to have higher weighting than KW, so you should have the most important, and only relevant, stuff in the caption.  The process is not really that important, as whatever you change is usually updated within 24 hours, so if you prefer to upload with generic vagueness and go edit in AIM that's not an issue (though i fail to see how that fits your archaic issue, as you are duplicating work )

25 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

based on anecdotal tests i did, terms in caption seem to have higher weighting than KW, so you should have the most important, and only relevant, stuff in the caption.  The process is not really that important, as whatever you change is usually updated within 24 hours, so if you prefer to upload with generic vagueness and go edit in AIM that's not an issue (though i fail to see how that fits your archaic issue, as you are duplicating work )

No, I'm not duplicating work. Just looking to tweak my SEO. I think that answers my questions. You guys all really helped me with this.

Thank You

Alamy is primarily an editorial agency, so it's best to think in terms of descriptive "captions" rather than short "titles". This means a bit more work, but it's worth the effort in the long run. Best of luck.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1