How to check usage of your photos online

Hey all,

I'm struggling to find a fast way of checking for usage of my photos online. Alamy has more or less disabled right clicking on your photos on its website and doing anything with them as far as I can tell. So if you use Google Images you can upload a photo to look for copies online. But all my JPEGs are too big. So I have to go into Paint and resize the JPEG, save as another file name etc. It just seems a hassle. Has anyone got a better way of doing this?

Thanks,

Stephen

Just now, Steve F said:

Hey all,

I'm struggling to find a fast way of checking for usage of my photos online. Alamy has more or less disabled right clicking on your photos on its website and doing anything with them as far as I can tell. So if you use Google Images you can upload a photo to look for copies online. But all my JPEGs are too big. So I have to go into Paint and resize the JPEG, save as another file name etc. It just seems a hassle. Has anyone got a better way of doing this?

Thanks,

Stephen

Right click works on a thumbnail of your images in AIM or in Alamy search results.

Mark

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. It seems very hit and miss though. I use the Firefox plug-in to search in Google or wherever, and it often seems to return results for photos that are similar to my photo, but not for the actual photo. I wondered if it's better to actually upload the photo to Google. Or maybe it's just me!

I use the Google Chrome extension "Search by image" showing a small blue camera below the image. Clicking on this will find some. Was very effective some years ago - now some images are probably behind pay walls, but great to find newspaper, blog, and some magazine uses. Works best and most precisely (not showing as many images looking like your image) when using on the smaller thumbnail sizes of images you can select viewing all of your Alamy images. (Also the view you'll get when clicking on the number of images under your profile image in the forum).

To find uses in books you can use https://books.google.com/ - and enter your pseudonym and alamy.

You will find that using more browsers can be necessary to cover your needs. Firefox is great for copying the image location if you want to show an image in the forums f.inst.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Thanks 1

If you go to your My Alamy page and to Sales History you can drag and drop the thumbnails into google image search.  You can also drag and drop the preview images you get when you click on the blue number here under your name.  Also try searching by your name.  It helps to use the the term -alamy.com in your search and if there are other famous people with your last name you can minus them also.  Try adding a description of the image in google images if you don't get a satisfactory result.  You can try other search engines with your name also. 

The format I use is:  pseudonym  alamy -alamy.com

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

If you go to your My Alamy page and to Sales History you can drag and drop the thumbnails into google image search.  You can also drag and drop the preview images you get when you click on the blue number here under your name.  Also try searching by your name.  It helps to use the the term -alamy.com in your search and if there are other famous people with your last name you can minus them also.  Try adding a description of the image in google images if you don't get a satisfactory result.  You can try other search engines with your name also. 

The format I use is:  pseudonym  alamy -alamy.com

Thanks a lot Johnny.

Yeah, unfortunately, Stephen Frost is a semi famous comedian (and doesn't look anything like me!)

5 hours ago, Steve F said:

Thanks a lot Johnny.

Yeah, unfortunately, Stephen Frost is a semi famous comedian (and doesn't look anything like me!)

I get Russell Crowe as we share the same last name so I have to add -russell to all my searches.

On 04/05/2020 at 11:23, Niels Quist said:

I use the Google Chrome extension "Search by image" showing a small blue camera below the image. Clicking on this will find some. Was very effective some years ago - now some images are probably behind pay walls, but great to find newspaper, blog, and some magazine uses. Works best and most precisely (not showing as many images looking like your image) when using on the smaller thumbnail sizes of images you can select viewing all of your Alamy images. (Also the view you'll get when clicking on the number of images under your profile image in the forum).

To find uses in books you can use https://books.google.com/ - and enter your pseudonym and alamy.

You will find that using more browsers can be necessary to cover your needs. Firefox is great for copying the image location if you want to show an image in the forums f.inst.

This is most interesting.  I ran this against "Ian Davidson Alamy"  and got a long list of books.  However, when I tried to electronically search the books by the same I got no results.  I recognise many of the authors as I have photographed them in the past.  I cannot afford to buy all the books as each one costs more than I would get for a photograph.  I shall have to get to the library when they reopen.... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 18:43, IanDavidson said:

This is most interesting.  I ran this against "Ian Davidson Alamy"  and got a long list of books.  However, when I tried to electronically search the books by the same I got no results.  I recognise many of the authors as I have photographed them in the past.  I cannot afford to buy all the books as each one costs more than I would get for a photograph.  I shall have to get to the library when they reopen.... 

Sometimes you may have luck to find your image on one of the pages you are allowed to see in the limited view of the shown books. Just found one of a Christmas market in Copenhagen. But often the image will be on one of the pages left out of the limited view - or the image may be left out with a message that the image is copyright protected. A good place to start is the index page where you can see on which page your image has been used.

This may save you some buys or library visits.

PS just had three book sales today - $25 to myself on each. Some years ago this amount would have been multiplied, but nowadays and in these difficult times you should appreciate.

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Like 1