How many keywords is "correct"?

Hello everyone,

Lately, I just know that adding too many keywords in Alamy is harmful. For example, here: https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/10741-discoverabiliy-and-keywords/. So, I end up deleting most of my images, because I am in the habit of writing as many keywords as possible (a habit I learn from S..tt..stocks, A.... Stock, etc).

So my question is, how many keywords is actually right? What is the "best" number of keywords?

This is very confusing because that damn bar is not green if I put too few keywords. It says I don't get good enough discoverability or something. Alamy should change this.

As has been discussed here many times, there is no 'right' number of tags (keywords). The correct number is that which 'fits', that is to say those words which both accurately describe the subject and attract the buyer who might be seeking that image. What exactly those are, and how many you should add is entirely up to you.

Perhaps for guidance, (not copying!) you should look at the portfolios of those who consistently sell well here relative to the size of their portfolios. I would suggest avoiding mine though, unless you enjoy the simple life 😉🤣

Those contributors who consistently sell well have done a lot of research using AoA to decide what sells, how, why and when according to what tags are used and how their images compare to the competition - and continually update that information when deciding on keywording.

The green bar is totally irrelevant.

Best of luck. :)

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just now, meanderingemu said:

i disagree about changing the green bar.  Based on belief that this creates many false positive and affects ratings, it gives the ones who do their homework and come here an advantage.  😉 

😄 Point taken!

• Love 1

as for how many. it depends of the subject, what is in the picture and derivative

on image in England starts with 3 extra KW (UK, United Kingdom, Britain) vs France

i have about 10% of my image over 40.

The one thing i find is most images deserve 10 super tags

Edited by meanderingemu

11 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i disagree about changing the green bar.  Based on belief that this creates many false positive and affects ratings, it gives the ones who do their homework and come here an advantage.  😉 

Hello, I don't understand what you mean. Does it mean I don't need to change the bar into green? Is that what you are saying?

10 minutes ago, Hani Santosa said:

Hello, I don't understand what you mean. Does it mean I don't need to change the bar into green? Is that what you are saying?

Correct. You don't need to change the bar into green.

• Love 1

On 29/04/2020 at 07:05, Hani Santosa said:

Hello everyone,

Lately, I just know that adding too many keywords in Alamy is harmful. For example, here: https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/10741-discoverabiliy-and-keywords/. So, I end up deleting most of my images, because I am in the habit of writing as many keywords as possible (a habit I learn from S..tt..stocks, A.... Stock, etc).

So my question is, how many keywords is actually right? What is the "best" number of keywords?

This is very confusing because that damn bar is not green if I put too few keywords. It says I don't get good enough discoverability or something. Alamy should change this.

Yes, as said above, changing the bar to green is optional.  I would only add keywords that are very relevant to your image.  Think about what keywords customers might use to find your images. 

You mentioned deleting images, was that just because of keyword issues?  It would seem to be better to just fix the keywords.   And you will always find forum members here who are happy to give you feedback on specific keywords used in one's images.

When I keyword (tag) an image I imagine i'm describing the picture to someone who can't see it. It's surprising sometimes the obvious things that you miss out.

John.

Edited by Stokie
  • Love 2