Affinity Photo offers for the current crisis

What seems to be a very generous offer from Affinity for the current crisis, you can use any of their apps (Photo, Designer, Publisher) for free for 3 months or buy at 50% of the normal price. Plus they are pledging to engage 100 creatives for paid work:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/1240673159898107905

I never used this app before. May I ask;

1. In which format(s) can you save files? 
  2. If you edit a file with layers in this app, can it be opened in PS with the layers in tact?

Sung

Thanks for letting us know about that.  I have Photo and Designer and this is a great opportunity to add Publisher...not that I'll know what to do with it, just a sucker for a deal.  🙂

Rick Boden

2 minutes ago, rickboden said:

Thanks for letting us know about that.  I have Photo and Designer and this is a great opportunity to add Publisher...not that I'll know what to do with it, just a sucker for a deal.  🙂

Rick Boden

What do you think of Photo?

Jill

10 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

What do you think of Photo?

Jill

I'm very impressed with the way it looks and functions but to be honest, I don't use it.  I bought it when it first came out a few years ago (when they had a low introductory price)  as insurance for when I wanted to drop out of Adobe's subscription program.  The short amount of time I've spent with the app makes me feel it is second only to Photoshop for image editing. I am also impressed that they have not come out with a paid upgrade version...contrast that with Luminar with a paid update every year.

3 hours ago, SFL said:

2. If you edit a file with layers in this app, can it be opened in PS with the layers in tact?

Sung

I'm afraid that I've hardly ever used it myself Sung as I use Lightroom for just about everything, in fact I rarely go into Photoshop. However I think that for anyone without Lightroom or Photoshop and those unwilling to subscribe it must be worth trying, particularly now at these prices and with a 3-month trial. I intend to have a look at Designer & Publisher also.

Edited by Harry Harrison

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm afraid that I've hardly ever used it myself Sung as I use Lightroom for just about everything, in fact I rarely go into Photoshop. However I think that for anyone without Lightroom or Photoshop and those unwilling to subscribe it must be worth trying, particularly now at these prices and with a 3-month trial. I intend to have a look at Designer & Publisher also.

Thank you, Harry for the info. It certainly looks excellent and a good value for money app. 
Sung 

On 21/03/2020 at 17:10, SFL said:

Sung

1. Images (documents) can be exported in any of the following formats PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PSD, PDF, SVG, EPS, EXR, HDR, TGA. Document can be created or converted in a wide range of colour spaces too. sRGB and AdobeRGB are both supported.
  2. Probably. I just did one quick test. I created 3 layers in Affinity, exported as PSD, then opening in PS. The layers are all there. I didn't try a text layer. Just 2 pixel layers and an adjustment layer. 

Other things I notice.

The UI is quite similar to PS. Even many of the same keyboard shortcuts seem to work.

I did try a serious edit on an image the other day and Affinity is IMHO quite usable. But the more operations I carried out on an image the slower the screen redraw got. I only have a relatively low spec MacBookPro, but PS redraw is faster.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1