Your (our, my) pics reduced to illustrations

Mark

The big item I miss so much about all the images I look at on alamy (or any other agency for that matter) is the story. There are great images of places, people, events, natural wonders, less-than-natural wonders, disasters, misery, happiness, whatever, but NONE have words attached to them that tell the full story. I try to read the "story" from the photos (some work better than others), but I turn away still feeling empty. Stories untold. Such great pictures reduced to illustrations in someone else's story. What about your stories?

This is not a call for strory-telling. I am just sad that good editorial images here and elswhere are dumped into a bucket hoping someone will find a use for them. I have the same feeling on Flickr, 500px etc (which is why I have stopped looking.....buckets of mush). Whatever happened to the story-telling power of photography? The only good photo is the one that sells? I don't think so!

Would love to see a place where some deeper background around good photos is captured and presented.

What about you? Or is it just me with a skewed perspective?

Before the print world collapsed (for me, anyway), I used to really enjoy putting together text/photo features (mainly travel-related) for newspapers and magazines. I really miss this integrative approach, and I still often photograph with a narrative line in mind, especially when travelling. Sadly, there is not much of a freelance market for this type of "story-telling" any longer.

Would love to see a place where some deeper background around good photos is captured and presented.

What about you? Or is it just me with a skewed perspective?

It would be fascinating, yes, absolutely!  Just not too sure where that place would be, as the ideal would seem to be an independent photojournalism site or similar.  So, unless you want to start up your own business....?

As for just sharing online, sadly I feel that this would just lead to theft of not just the images but the text as well - leading to just more problems for all involved. <sigh>

"Just not too sure where that place would be..."

Alamy perhaps?

Demotix to a degree too (with the added bonus of possible . . . possible . . . take-up by Corbis).

dd

Archived