Implementing Wildcard * Search for Alamy Measures

Kent Johnson

Hi Alamy, I'm very grateful that you allow us to view stats for alamy search. It's nice but I suspect that subjects I want to research I do not always know the first word for. If I want to search for information about 'Paris Holiday' the result will be different if I searched for 'Holiday Paris'. In face it I want to search about Paris, it would be possibly be more useful to see a lit of things in search that were before the word Paris. A wildercars '* Paris' search would show a listing of words/subjects before 'Paris' which will be a radically different list to 'Paris *[wildcard]' which is the list I currently see.

Would implementation of wildcard search on the alamy measures be possible? Thank you for your consideration. This could help sellers target buyers much more effectively.

Edited by Kent Johnson

I may be wrong about what you are saying but if I put %bear% in the search box in All of Alamy in Measures I see all searches with bear in them.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kent Johnson said:

Hi Alamy, I'm very grateful that you allow us to view stats for alamy search. It's nice but I suspect that subjects I want to research I do not always know the first word for. If I want to search for information about 'Paris Holiday' the result will be different if I searched for 'Holiday Paris'. In face it I want to search about Paris, it would be possibly be more useful to see a lit of things in search that were before the word Paris. A wildercars '* Paris' search would show a listing of words/subjects before 'Paris' which will be a radically different list to 'Paris *[wildcard]' which is the list I currently see.

Would implementation of wildcard search on the alamy measures be possible? Thank you for your consideration. This could help sellers target buyers much more effectively.

Try searching this forum for "all of alamy".

Include the "" and check the box all of my search terms.

If that doesn't bring up enough or the right results, try AoA its usual nick.

There's a lot of information about this here and yes it is a most valuable tool. But remember it's a database, so you will have to live with some of it's restrictions. meaning you will have to do some research and maybe even learn stuff.

Doing the same search on Google will bring up some, but not all relevant answers.

wim

• Love 1

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

I may be wrong about what you are saying but if I put %bear% in the search box in All of Alamy in Measures I see all searches with bear in them.

Paulette

Ah! So it does have wildcard searches I used the wrong symbol! Thank you.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Try searching this forum for "all of alamy".

Include the "" and check the box all of my search terms.

If that doesn't bring up enough or the right results, try AoA its usual nick.

There's a lot of information about this here and yes it is a most valuable tool. But remember it's a database, so you will have to live with some of it's restrictions. meaning you will have to do some research and maybe even learn stuff.

Doing the same search on Google will bring up some, but not all relevant answers.

wim

Thanks Wim, I tried Paulette's suggestion; the % is the wildcard symbol for this database - I tried the wrong one! I am finding the information on this site tricky to find. I google this forum as I can not find a link on my dashboard page! Maybe that's just me though! Cheers. Kent.

4 hours ago, Kent Johnson said:

Thanks Wim, I tried Paulette's suggestion; the % is the wildcard symbol for this database - I tried the wrong one! I am finding the information on this site tricky to find. I google this forum as I can not find a link on my dashboard page! Maybe that's just me though! Cheers. Kent.

Yes the visibility seems to have been toned down a bit. Maybe because so many here have asked for it?

On your desktop page, click Help and go to the button Join the discussion on our forums in the lower left hand corner. That will get you here.

- I use a shortcut link on my bookmark toolbar (in FF).

There are more special characters doing different things, like wildcards. Most people will never need them, but they're in the discussions here somewhere.

Here are some. Plus the explanation that those special characters are actually called regular expressions. And why we probably cannot use more of those.

wim

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

Kent

>I google this forum as I can not find a link on my dashboard page! Maybe that's just me though!

No your not the only one, I found the quickest way to get to the forum is via the sitemap at the bottom of the page.

Terms and conditions  ~   Copyright complaints  ~   Sitemap 

then look for:

Interact with Alamy

Forum

Blog

click Forum

Doug

www.doughoughton.com

• 1 month later...