At long last some sense over RM/RF

"robertharding will continue to market and sell RM imagery and video because they have new and existing customers who find the ‘single’ use RM licence, which is also available on all their Royalty Free (RF) images, best suits their needs."

RF images available for both licences depending if you want 'single use' or 'limitless use'. You buy what you need. 

Simplified categories available for both SU and LU.  

Now, I find that very sensible and refreshing. 

I'm not saying that it is perfect but it is a very  big step forward.

eg)

Personal Online - £4 single use, £39 limitless

Each image also available to order as prints.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Just looked on their contributor welcome/joining page.

Some of the images look very garish colourwise to me. Is there a market for that kind of thing?

Allan

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Just looked on their contributor welcome/joining page.

Some of the images look very garish colourwise to me. Is there a market for that kind of thing?

Allan

Sorry I have no idea. I was with them for a while but only had a small number of images. Didn't like the exclusivity demand then seeing the same images distributed to Alamy, Getty, everywhere etc. I think most sales are indirect, therefore might as well go straight to those agencies that are selling rather than losing commission. They do the key-wording though. 

I simply thought that this attempt to combine the RF and RM licence was interesting and something that should have been around for years and years.

ie) you pay more for RF because you get more rights if that is what you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Sorry I have no idea. I was with them for a while but only had a small number of images. Didn't like the exclusivity demand then seeing the same images distributed to Alamy, Getty, everywhere etc. I think most sales are indirect, therefore might as well go straight to those agencies that are selling rather than losing commission. They do the key-wording though. 

I simply thought that this attempt to combine the RF and RM licence was interesting and something that should have been around for years and years.

ie) you pay more for RF because you get more rights if that is what you want. 

I get your point. Just looked out of curiosity to see what they taking in. Not interested in joining. I am exclusive to Alamy and staying that way.

Allan

It sounds as if this type of model could be the future of RM. Alamy already does this already to some extent with their hybrid RM/RF licenses and their "Buy this stock image now..." options on the calculator page where you can license an RF image for specific uses and duration -- e.g. Web page use for 5 years.

If only RH could actually report more than 75% of sales they might be on to something. 🙄 Their accounting/sales department leaves a LOT to desired...

Also as @geogphotos mentioned, 95% of sales are via distributors- not direct, and generally very low priced at that (compounded by low royalty %).

Back to the OP, yes the concept is novel. However RH has made promises in the past regarding 'new and better' licensing models and has not delivered. Likely not the player best poised to make any significant impact... and judging by the proposed pricing for this new model, will not be boosting photographers' income either.