What determines the order of images when searching

32 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I currently have 6 images on page  one of a search for "Toronto Blue Jays".  There are over 13,000 images.  Yet in a search for "Toronto Street Car" where there are only 2500 images, I have 3 but on page two.  You would think I would have an easier time getting on page one for the search of less images.

You just don't know.

Jill

Have those images ever been zoomed with the search term Toronto Blue Jays? That would help promote them. Alternatively do you have an exact match of the phrase Toronto Blue Jays in your tags or caption, but you don't have the same for Toronto street car? Also check which of those words appear in your tags, supertags and captions as they all carry different weighting. It also depends on the ranking of your competitor for each of those searches.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Have those images ever been zoomed with the search term Toronto Blue Jays? That would help promote them. Alternatively do you have an exact match of the phrase Toronto Blue Jays in your tags or caption, but you don't have the same for Toronto street car? Also check which of those words appear in your tags, supertags and captions as they all carry different weighting. It also depends on the ranking of your competitor for each of those searches.

Mark

None of the images on page one have ever been zoomed. I have sold an image of the grounds crew working on the pitcher's mound and the term "Toronto Blue Jays" is a keyword, but not in the caption and not a supertag. I don't know what the search term was for that sale.

I have sold 3 CN Tower images, yet can't find any of mine in the first 5 pages of a search for "CN Tower" where there are 10,00 images.

I don't worry about it anymore.  Just tag, upload and hope for the best.  I haven't uploaded much the last couple of years, but hope to add more this year.

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I currently have 6 images on page  one of a search for "Toronto Blue Jays".  There are over 13,000 images.  Yet in a search for "Toronto Street Car" where there are only 2500 images, I have 3 but on page two.  You would think I would have an easier time getting on page one for the search of less images.

You just don't know.

Jill

the issue is that Toronto Blue Jays probably has many entries coming from Live News, and not sure if they are indexed as equal, plus i presume agencies don't spend much time on supertaging and KW for Stock purpose.   I actually notice  last year how some of my images of subject i did as Stock ranked higher than much more accomplished News photographers entries.   

8 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

the issue is that Toronto Blue Jays probably has many entries coming from Live News, and not sure if they are indexed as equal, plus i presume agencies don't spend much time on supertaging and KW for Stock purpose.   I actually notice  last year how some of my images of subject i did as Stock ranked higher than much more accomplished News photographers entries.   

I don't worry about it much.  Any live news I have done I always keyword for stock.

You have a pic of a horse that you have given colour as brown with white flecks(I think).  The official colour is called a red roan if you want to add that tag.

Jill

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I don't worry about it much.  Any live news I have done I always keyword for stock.

You have a pic of a horse that you have given colour as brown with white flecks(I think).  The official colour is called a red roan if you want to add that tag.

Jill

i'll even make it a supertag thanks