CS6 Not enough RAM

Steve Tucker

Question

I use CS6 for editing my images, bring them in via Bridge for the RAW edit, open in CS6, process and then save. I have always saved the Jpegs as progressive.

After a while off photo editing and a new more powerful PC running Windows 10 I am having issues with CS6 giving the error "Could not save as there is not enough memory (RAM). Try saving without optimisation or as a baseline JPEG."

I have googled this and tried the Regedit fix with Overridephysicalmemory and after closing and re-opening CS6 that works for a few saves and then reverts back to the problem.

I have also today had it tell me it could not use the brush tool as not enough memory.

I have tried altering changing the scratch disk to a larger internal drive although it will not let me change "Let Photoshop Use 3255 MB 100% as it says this is the maximum.

The PC is quite modern, has 64GB RAM and I can happily edit Video in DaVinci Resolve all day, so I assume its a Photoshop problem?

Does anybody have any suggestions that may help?

Steve,

I've had problems with CC, LR and currently PS.  I am in the U.S. and I assume that you are in the

U.K.?

My problems have usually been solved by calling Adobe Tech support and they have been very

helpful.  There is a lot of miss information online, be careful.

I am running an older Dell and two years ago I did have to upgrade my Graphics Card.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck, yes Im in the UK. Good idea I may try ringing tech support tomorrow if I don't get anywhere.

Harry, thanks for your input, you could well be right about steering me to CC, however I left CC a while back and re-installed CS6 because I did have the education package, but they knock you off that after 12 months and I just cannot justify the price, not when I already have CS6 and now use DaVinci Resolve so noit going back to Premiere Pro.

Thanks for the link , I will check it out. Having had a quick look though there is nothing using much, a total of 9% memory for everything

Edited by Steve Tucker

Hopefully they will sort it out, it will be interesting to know how you get on. Windows 10 has been around for a while so I'm surprised there's not more on the internet if CS6 is not compatible, I guess quite a few CC agnostics must still be using it. I fall into that category myself but I'm using  CS3 on Windows 7, though I rarely use Photoshop.

Just now, Harry Harrison said:

Hopefully they will sort it out, it will be interesting to know how you get on. Windows 10 has been around for a while so I'm surprised there's not more on the internet if CS6 is not compatible, I guess quite a few CC agnostics must still be using it. I fall into that category myself but I'm using  CS3 on Windows 7, though I rarely use Photoshop.

Processes aren't using much so I don't think thats the problem only 9% total memory

1 hour ago, Steve Tucker said:

I use CS6 for editing my images, bring them in via Bridge for the RAW edit, open in CS6, process and then save. I have always saved the Jpegs as progressive.

After a while off photo editing and a new more powerful PC running Windows 10 I am having issues with CS6 giving the error "Could not save as there is not enough memory (RAM). Try saving without optimisation or as a baseline JPEG."

I have googled this and tried the Regedit fix with Overridephysicalmemory and after closing and re-opening CS6 that works for a few saves and then reverts back to the problem.

I have also today had it tell me it could not use the brush tool as not enough memory.

I have tried altering changing the scratch disk to a larger internal drive although it will not let me change "Let Photoshop Use 3255 MB 100% as it says this is the maximum.

The PC is quite modern, has 64GB RAM and I can happily edit Video in DaVinci Resolve all day, so I assume its a Photoshop problem?

Does anybody have any suggestions that may help?

I don't know where you got the idea that you need progressive jpegs. You should save as baseline not progessive which has to do with how the image loads on the web. Of that I am certain.

However, it is odd that the max RAM you can use is 3255 GB and I wonder if this has this something to do with 32 versus 64 bit Windows/Photoshop. As a Mac user I am protected from all this and not knowledgeable about Windows any more but I recall that 32-bit Photoshop could only use a max of less than 2GB of RAM. This all changed with CS5 on the Mac but it might have been later with Windows. So I would suggest that you check your install of Photoshop. I assume you are on 64 bit Windows. If not then you should be or all that RAM is going to waste. The change to 64-bit in CS5 represented a huge speed boost, particularly when working on large files.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

MDM - Yeh not sure where I got that from either, maybe a false memory.

Anyway, it seems I was on 32 bit PS there are 2 versions on my PC, not sure why, but I have now put the 64 bit version on my taskbar which has 228248MB available so hopefully this has sorted it.

Thanks for your help

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

MDM - Yeh not sure where I got that from either, maybe a false memory.

Anyway, it seems I was on 32 bit PS there are 2 versions on my PC, not sure why, but I have now put the 64 bit version on my taskbar which has 228248MB available so hopefully this has sorted it.

Thanks for your help

Don't mention it Steve. Glad to have helped.

5 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

I can save it as Baseline, but I'm not sure how that affects the image as far as Alamy is concerned, I seem to remember reading years ago you should always save as Progressive for Alamy?

Steve,

I have always saved my images to upload to Alamy or any other agency as "Baseline" and saving as progressive will cause problems.

Chuck

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Steve,

I have always saved my images to upload to Alamy or any other agency as "Baseline" and saving as progressive will cause problems.

Chuck

Cheers Chuck, not sure when or how long I have been uploading images saved as progressive, but I will stop that right now. :)

Open Photoshop click on edit in the menu go down to preferences, and then performance, there you will find out how much RAM PS is allowed to use and change it.  Mine is set to 8979 MB.  You could try 16 MB for starters.  Go to Scratch Disks next and if you have set how much photoshop should use in memory.  I have a spare SSD drive installed and use that as a scratch disk.  Use space on your C drive or if you have an M.2 drive or SSD that should give better performance.   Here is a video, at minute 6:59 he gets to what I am talking about.  I need to watch it too.

8 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

Open Photoshop click on edit in the menu go down to preferences, and then performance, there you will find out how much RAM PS is allowed to use and change it.  Mine is set to 8979 MB.  You could try 16 MB for starters.  Go to Scratch Disks next and if you have set how much photoshop should use in memory.  I have a spare SSD drive installed and use that as a scratch disk.  Use space on your C drive or if you have an M.2 drive or SSD that should give better performance.   Here is a video, at minute 6:59 he gets to what I am talking about.  I need to watch it too.

Thank you for your help, although I have already posted that the issue is sorted ;) , I couldn't change the RAM, that was the problem but was because I was using PS in 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Anyway thank you for going to the trouble.

11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Sorry, reread your post, your RAW files are handled by CS6.

For images other than stock that were for print or magazines or whatever, I used to open in LR and edit the RAW, convert to DNG and edit in PS, I would archive an edited Tiff and a DNG. The Jpeg was not usually kept.

For stock I usually keep the RAW (or DNG) and the Jpeg but don't save a Tiff.

Since leaving Adobe CC and reverting to CS6 I have lost LR so am using Bridge for the conversion

Just now, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, I'd read that you can end up with Bridge for free but didn't know that it can be used for RAW conversion.

Yes Bridge actually does pretty much the same as LR with most of the same controls for the RAW editing, it is free with PS. Not the same when it comes to cataloging though.

Well I don't think you will be able to convert future RAW files as Adobe won't update Camera RAW, but then I will have to use DNG Converter and work directly in DNG I guess. This is what I used to do when buying a new camera and waiting for the updates.

It is not true to say that " Bridge actually does pretty much the same as LR with most of the same controls for the RAW editing, it is free with PS." for two reasons.

Firstly, Bridge is free to anyone. You don't need to own or subscribe to any Adobe software. You just need to create an Adobe account and download it.

Secondly and more importantly, it is not Bridge that is doing the raw conversions, it is Adobe Camera Raw which comes as part of Photoshop. If you didn't have Photoshop CS6 installed, then you would not be able to do the raw conversions. Bridge is just a file browser.

On the Mac the days if CS6 are numbered as it won't install on the latest MacOS Catalina. I think this is because the installer is not 64-bit not CS6 itself. I tried to install it on my wife's iMac and it wouldn't do it. I have the CC subscription as well as a license for CS6 so it was disappointing that it wouldn't work. 

Edited by MDM

13 minutes ago, MDM said:

Secondly and more importantly, it is not Bridge that is doing the raw conversions, it is Adobe Camera Raw which comes as part of Photoshop. If you didn't have Photoshop CS6 installed, then you would not be able to do the raw conversions. Bridge is just a file browser.

Thanks for the clarification, CS6 uses Camera RAW 7.1 I think, so only camera RAW files supported by that can be converted:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

You are correct, I have had a while away from processing, I was of course referring to the controls on Camera RaW and in fact I hardly use Bridge.

When I bought CS6 I got the education version which is heavily discounted and a very good deal and lasts forever (or at least until obsolescence).

When I started editing video I made the decision to go CC as I wanted Premiere Pro as well as PS and Lightroom and a few of the other programs were useful on occasion, this was also available on an education discount and so I went with the full CC suite.

I was a bit gutted then to find that after the 12 months I was to be put on full price, I could not justify £500+ per annum. So I decided to use DaVinci Resolve for video (a fantastic bit of software by the way if you are not familiar with it) and free as well, though I have now upgraded to the studio version, for which for £300 you get lifetime free upgrades and new versions as they come out.

I also re-installed CS6 which works just fine on Windows 10 (now I have 64 bit working thanks)

What really annoys me about Adobe CC is, once you stop paying you are kind of stuffed, I mean as long as Windows 10 exists I can use CS6 forever, now I know that it is not future proof but if I dont have the money for subscription, maybe unemployment, retirement or whatever I can still edit my photo's

So as far as I am concerned Adobe can go whistle for their CC until the days comes that I have no choice. :D

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks for the clarification, CS6 uses Camera RAW 7.1 I think, so only camera RAW files supported by that can be converted:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

True, but you can use the free Adobe DNG converter and still able to work on the files of the future as DNG format in CS6