Sign in to follow this  
Betty LaRue

Exclusive share

Question

I have a PU sale for $14.99. It is an exclusive RM image. Alamy have taken $8.47. My share should be $7.50 instead of $6.52.

I realize I’m splitting hairs, but fair is fair. I have made an inquiry to Alamy. The temptation was to let it slide, and I actually did for a bit, then realized I need to hold Alamy accountable. I’ll be embarrassed if they have a legitimate reason, but inquiring minds want to know.

Mainly curious if this is a one-off or if any of you are seeing these mistakes in your own licenses.

Betty

13 answers to this question

And if its not an a distributor sale it could be an affiliate sale ~ they've caught me out recently

What do you think?

DetailsAmount

EM9HPGowl-7552Betty LaRue01 December 2019Rights ManagedCountry: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 01 December 2019
End: 01 December 2024

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

What do you think?

DetailsAmount

EM9HPGowl-7552Betty LaRue01 December 2019Rights ManagedCountry: Worldwide
Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 01 December 2019
End: 01 December 2024

look under 'account balance' it will give you the percentage split

Ah, yes. Affiliate. My first one, why I was confused.

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ah, yes. Affiliate. My first one, why I was confused.

Seems to be a lot more of these coming through in 2019 ~ I only started getting them after I dropped distributor sales :(

I know what affiliates are, but what exactly is an "affiliate sale" and how does the "affiliate commission" work?

Hello John,

The affiliate commisions are detailed in our contract: https://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.aspx

In Alamy Commision Table you can read the Alamy Affiliate Commission:

Exclusive images             56.5% (43.5% to Alamy, 10% to Affiliate, 3% to affiliate provider)

Non-Exclusive images     65.2% (52.2% to Alamy, 10% to Affiliate, 3% to affiliate provider)

...so the rest is for us. Just as Betty detailed in the OP.

Hope that helps.

Regards

On 15/12/2019 at 14:14, John Mitchell said:

I know what affiliates are, but what exactly is an "affiliate sale" and how does the "affiliate commission" work?

When a buyer is directed to Alamy.com from another website (the affiliate), Alamy calls this an affiliate sale and the contributor receives less than 50%, despite the fact that the sale is made at Alamy.com. For this reason I've opposed this commission split since the day I saw that it had been changed. You may recall that it was one thing when announced, and another after a quiet change. I had put a "creative" on my website (to be an affiliate) but removed it after the change. There doesn't seem to be a way to opt-out, so contributors have to accept less than 50% for these sales made thru Alamy.com. 

Edited by KevinS

18 minutes ago, KevinS said:

When a buyer is directed to Alamy.com from another website (the affiliate), Alamy calls this an affiliate sale and the contributor receives less that 50%, despite the fact that the sale is made at Alamy.com. For this reason I've opposed this commission split since the day I saw that it had been changed. You may recall that it was one thing when announced, and another after a quiet change. I had put a "creative" on my website (to be an affiliate) but removed it after the change. There doesn't seem to be a way to opt-out, so contributors have to accept less than 50% for these sales made thru Alamy.com. 

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like that. So I guess this means an additional 10% is shaved off our share with affiliate sales?

On 15/12/2019 at 16:13, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like that. So I guess this means an additional 10% is shaved off our share with affiliate sales?

Actually, 13% off sales price. 10% to affiliate, 3% to Rakuten, who provides the service.

Alamy Commission Table

Alamy Commission models, rates, fees and payment Current model
Alamy Blue
Exclusive Images Non-exclusive Images
Alamy CommissionFor sales through www.alamy.com 50% 60%
Alamy Distribution CommissionFor sales through our Distributors 70%(30% to Alamy, 40% to the Distributor) 70%(30% to Alamy, 40% to the Distributor)
Alamy Novel Use CommissionFor sales through Novel Use 50% 60%
Alamy Footage CommissionFor footage sales 50% 60%
Alamy Affiliate Commission 56.5%(43.5% to Alamy, 10% to Affiliate,3% to affiliate provider) 65.2%(52.2% to Alamy, 10% to Affiliate,3% to affiliate provider)
Edited by KevinS

3 hours ago, KevinS said:

Actually, 13% off sales price. 10% to affiliate, 3% to Rakuten, who provides the service.

Alamy Commission Table

Alamy Commission models, rates, fees and payment Current model
Alamy Blue
Exclusive Images Non-exclusive Images
Alamy CommissionFor sales through www.alamy.com 50% 60%
Alamy Distribution CommissionFor sales through our Distributors 70%(30% to Alamy, 40% to the Distributor) 70%(30% to Alamy, 40% to the Distributor)
Alamy Novel Use CommissionFor sales through Novel Use 50% 60%
Alamy Footage CommissionFor footage sales 50% 60%
Alamy Affiliate Commission 56.5%(43.5% to Alamy, 10% to Affiliate,3% to affiliate provider) 65.2%(52.2% to Alamy, 10% to Affiliate,3% to affiliate provider)

Thanks for the clarification and the math. I had no idea what "affiliate provider" meant. I believe that I've had a couple of these types of sales.