50 minutes ago, David Olsen said:

After exiting G***Y I came across this website http://creativeinco.me/best-stock-agencies/.  According to this site Google Trends for May showed Sh*********k 57 points, G***y 19 points, Alamy 4 points. A little disturbing to me.

Presumably what Google trends won't show is how many searches are carried out within the domain, i.e. go to Alamy and then search for an image.

I also suspect there may still be lots of Alamy images that don't appear in Google searches. Certainly reverse image search is pretty hit and miss on my images on Alamy. Also Alamy don't sell video clips.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I wouldn't exactly call this article a balanced view. The person who wrote it is clearly a microstock photographer who apparently doesn't know much about other types of agencies and licensing. For instance, he uses the term "Royalty Managed" instead of "Rights Managed". Perhaps he should have titled his article "Best Microstock Websites to Sell...."

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, David Olsen said:

After exiting G***Y I came across this website http://creativeinco.me/best-stock-agencies/.  According to this site Google Trends for May showed Sh*********k 57 points, G***y 19 points, Alamy 4 points. A little disturbing to me.

You should really be doing a lot of personal research on the benefits and drawbacks of the other places.

Hint: independent forums are available, some of them are totally open, some have vetted membership. Read everything with a healthy scepticism; but also be prepared to have any presuppositions rocked. The figures you quote don't suprise me at all, for example.

Alamy is much lower volume of sales, at least when compared to microstock sites. The license fees for stock images on Alamy are higher too, so many agencies and purchasers would tend to go for subscription services on microstock sites and pay pennies for images. Sadly, many sales here are for pennies too.