17 hours ago, Abiyoyo said:

That is my problem. I have hundred of musical posters, lots of them stripped out from the walls, that means that each one has its "finger prints" and are unique. Are those artworks have to be "non-exclusive?

lou-reed-madrid-1980-tour-musical-concer

This is really a different issue. My view it that it's still in copyright, it's a straight copy,  you don't own the rights and it shouldn't be here at all, but that's up to you. It certainly shouldn't be exclusive.

Edited by spacecadet

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

This is really a different issue. My view it that it's still in copyright, it's a straight copy,  you don't own the rights and it shouldn't be here at all, but that's up to you. It certainly shouldn't be exclusive.

Alamy has accepted masses of material such as this - LP covers, book covers, posters etc.

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy has accepted masses of material such as this - LP covers, book covers, posters etc.

Indeed and it's covered by the contract- you give a warranty that you're the rights owner or have permission therefrom. It doesn't mean that the contributor is legally safe.

I wouldn't do it and I daresay a lot of us wouldn't- your private material is a bit different though and at least you're asking the question.

Edited by spacecadet

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Indeed and it's covered by the contract- you give a warranty that you're the rights owner or have permission therefrom. It doesn't mean that the contributor is legally safe.

I wouldn't do it and I daresay a lot of us wouldn't- your private material is a bit different though and at least you're asking the question.

Has there been a change to the copyright of designs for front covers/posters/LPs and the like? Going back into the 2000s ( I forget when ) I remember being told on a forum that the design of a copyright on, for example, a book front cover was much shorter than the normal copyright period ( 15-20 years or so) instead of the 70 years after a photographer's death. 

Edited by geogphotos

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Has there been a change to the copyright of designs for front covers/posters/LPs and the like? Going back into the 2000s ( I forget when ) I remember being told on a forum that the design of a copyright on, for example, a book front cover was much shorter than the normal copyright period ( 15-20 years or so) instead of the 70 years after a photographer's death. 

A design has a shorter protection, yes, but IMO a layout with artwork and images, etc., would still be protected by copyright for the full term. You might need to rely on design right if there were no other material in the poster protected by copyright. Abiyoyo's example has an image of Lou Reed for a start.

With copyright in mind but more so the Exclusivity policy, Alamy states under the definition "Exclusive" that:

'Images of artworks, or that are not protected by copyright, or that are in the public domain or for which copyright ownership is unknown will never be deemed to be exclusive.'

OK, from a personal viewpoint all my illustrations from books will need to be changed (which go from 100 - 400 years old).
I presume also that all my vintage advertisements will have to go the same way. The enamel signs I will leave as each sign will be unique through its rusting pattern.
My vintage playing cards are all artwork so they go to.
What about old photographs (both celluloid and glass) and cabinet cards? I don't have the negatives but they are unique and out of copyright yet according to the definition I cannot mark them as exclusive.
Similarly I have original artwork  but am not the artist yet the definition says I cannot mark these as exclusive either.

In all these copyright will have ceased under normal circumstances (except possibly on a pack of 'Wizard of Oz' cards.

I joined Alamy because it was simple and straightforward and a straight 50% commission. I sell very little and only do it as a hobby. I feel as though I might as well mark the whole lot as non-exclusive and sign up with other stock agencies

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2019 at 07:28, geogphotos said:

I wasn't sent this email.

Was it only sent to contributors who have all of their images as Exclusive and none as Non-exclusive?

No I got the email and i’ve got both.

• 4 years later...

Does  "Exclusive to Alamy" mean such images cannot be submitted to photo contests (National Wildlife Federation) where they could be used in the sponsor's publication and much more? Their contest rules give them pretty broad rights to use. 

14. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Entrants retain ownership and all other rights to future use of the photographs they enter except for the following: Your entry to the contest constitutes your agreement to allow your entered photographs—and your name, occupation, city, state, country of residence and photo information—to be published as Winners or Honorable Mentions in National Wildlife magazine and on the NWF website, and you grant to NWF and its licensees the perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entry (along with a name credit) in connection with the National Wildlife® Photo Contest (“NWPC”), including but not limited to the promotion of the NWPC and National Wildlife magazine, in any media now or hereafter known, the online PhotoZone articles and features, and use in NWF photography exhibits. From time to time we feature Entrants non-donated images on commercial products and services, however we will contact you for permission for use.