Are you Digital or Analog? I DON'T mean film v. digital - please read on

Marianne

I only read paper books. I keep a paper day planner and calendar only. I write pen on paper in a daily journal notebook. I write poetry with a pen. For long articles, brainstorming, and project timelines, I need to sit in a cafe with paper and pen and write/plan that way because the computer screen freezes me.

I still work regularly with 16mm film reels and projectors, but transfer it to digital video for editing and presentation.

I WAY prefer digital audio recording and editing vs. analogue recording. OMG

I am rarely separated from my iPhone and all the convenience it offers.

• Love 1

I prefer a kitchen calendar to outlook.  Just more spontaneous and the puchase encourages a photographer somewhere... Outlook is what you do with a window.

When I was a mature student I drew lots of mind maps to get ideas into order, then took a picture on my phone so I could revise when I was away from my books.

Analog or digital? They are just tools.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2019 at 01:22, Chuck Nacke said:

Making images for me has never been "leisurely." I had written a rather long rant about the difference between Digital V.S. Film, but I deleted it.

I do Love my old K-14's (Kodachromes), but film can no longer come close to what you can get out of a NIKON D800.

I didn't mean that taking images was a leisurely pursuit; I was really thinking more of how much faster it is to type than to write by hand, and probably should have used a more precise term than "leisurely." I meant it more in terms of "unhurried," because while you can shoot or write to a deadline, which is often the case, the best work often comes when you have the time to pace yourself and feel that "flow" that arises when your natural rhythm and your artistic nature are perfectly in tune. 

"Lethargically" and "deliberately" are both synonyms for "taking one's time," but I think that they miles apart from each other. "Deliberately" was really the more precise term I should have used. Or "thoughtfully."   But then I've done some of my best work while taking a leisurely walk along the water's edge, so perhaps that term wasn't really so imprecise. I've also done some of my best work thinking on my feet or trying to get that split-second shot, or with a deadline looming. But I'd rather think with a pen in my hand and an uninterrupted hour stretching out in front of me. 

On 27/11/2019 at 04:23, Mr Standfast said:

I prefer a kitchen calendar to outlook.  Just more spontaneous and the puchase encourages a photographer somewhere... Outlook is what you do with a window.

When I was a mature student I drew lots of mind maps to get ideas into order, then took a picture on my phone so I could revise when I was away from my books.

Analog or digital? They are just tools.

My husband loves having a calendar on our fridge. I have a couple to chose from who've licensed my photos when January rolls around. Thank goodness people still buy calendars.  (Just don't tell anyone, I prefer my iPhone for keeping me on track.) But the calendars are so much nicer to look at. 

• Like 1