How do i change my payments from dollars to pounds

vicky allum

Question

5 answers to this question

I don't think it has ever been the case that Alamy payout is $1=£1, I'm not quite sure where you have picked up that idea. Alamy pays out using a conversion which approximates to the going dollar - pound sterling exchange rate at the time payout is triggered. Therefore the amount you get will vary from month to month depending on how the currency markets are moving. Rates for UK contributors are quite favourable at the moment, and may become more so if we exit the EU without a deal.

On 08/11/2019 at 19:50, Joseph Clemson said:

Rates for UK contributors are quite favourable at the moment, and may become more so if we exit the EU without a deal.

Rates have gone downhill a bit lately. Alamy coverted the November payout at 1.3297 meaning that for each $100 UK contributors received £75.20. The bulk currency rate on the day was 1.277 which would have meant £78.30 per $100.

At my level of income it doesn't make much difference - but if I was earning $1,000+/month it would begin to matter.

24 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

What an absurd statement. How exactly would it be "favourable" to have £1 worth less than €1?

Sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't referring to Euros at all. What I meant was that sterling to dollar rates are more favourable to Alamy  UK contributors at the moment in historical terms. Four to five years ago we had an exchange rate of about $1.5 to £1, nowadays it hovers around $1.3 to £1. So our dollar payout from Alamy currently buys us more £ than it did a few years ago. 

If we exit the EU, espcially on on unfavourable terms, it seems likely that the value of sterling will drop further against the dollar. In which case our dollar payout from Alamy would buy us even more pounds sterling, though this would be offset by the increae in the cost of living generally.

2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't referring to Euros at all. What I meant was that sterling to dollar rates are more favourable to Alamy  UK contributors at the moment in historical terms. Four to five years ago we had an exchange rate of about $1.5 to £1, nowadays it hovers around $1.3 to £1. So our dollar payout from Alamy currently buys us more £ than it did a few years ago. 

If we exit the EU, espcially on on unfavourable terms, it seems likely that the value of sterling will drop further against the dollar. In which case our dollar payout from Alamy would buy us even more pounds sterling, though this would be offset by the increae in the cost of living generally.

Advantages like these are soon overtaken by price adjustments. We may get more pounds but the dollar prices have dropped. A few temporary extra pounds would as you say pale beside the economic catastrophe of leaving the EU.

• Like 1