Do pictures sell better when uploaded exclusive?

On 10/10/2019 at 07:26, sarosa said:

I want to increase my sales. Would you please let me know your experience about uploading pictures exclusive to Alamy? Do they sell better? Are they higher in the search engine results? What's the difference in payout? Generally do pictures sell better when uploaded exclusive? 

I am happy to receive any advice. Thank you very much. 

I have about 26,000 exclusive images with Alamy, most of which are RM. 

Since they introduced the "Exclusive to Alamy" system I cant say I have noticed much of a difference either way to how things were before. 

It's probably too early to tell and there are too many other variables which can affect the final results....

Kumar

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Doc said:

I have about 26,000 exclusive images with Alamy, most of which are RM. 

Since they introduced the "Exclusive to Alamy" system I cant say I have noticed much of a difference either way to how things were before. 

It's probably too early to tell and there are too many other variables which can affect the final results....

Kumar

Agreed. My sales have improved this year by a fair amount, and I do have most exclusive to Alamy, but I could put those sales down to other factors that have also changed. It's really impossible for us to give an accurate answer to the OP.

On 29/10/2019 at 14:35, Betty LaRue said:

Marb, you are a good photographer. I’ll offer this, and hope I’m not stepping on your toes. If so, I apologize. You are so close on some of your images, but not quite there. It’s not your photography, but your imagination.
For instance, image RDT41A.  Technically very good. But this image would better serve you if you had backed off a bit, and had the employee with more of a side view adjusting the jacket perfectly for display.  Absolutely not looking at the camera. It would illustrate him doing his job, with maybe a bit of the shop in the background for context. Tags would be important so that someone wanting to use the image for the concept of shops failing because of online shopping which is happening big time in the US, I would assume everywhere.

Image RDT3YW of the farmer with milking machine is so static. It immediately caught my eye because the subject is not only good, but wonderful. If only you had taken it as the farmer was fitting the milking machine onto the cow. Closeup, then backed off showing at least most of the cow with again, some of the barn for context. Tags dairy farmer, dairy farmer working, dairy farmer milking, dairy farm, milking, milking machine, dairy cow, (“breed”) etc. The image could be used over and over...price of milk, dairies failing, etc. The milking machine part is the least important part compared to the occupation. I can remember a time when dairy farmers poured the milk on the ground rather than accept low prices. The thing is the images may sit in your collection for awhile, but when something hits the news, you’re set with the perfect images that will compete.
It’s best showing people actually performing their jobs rather than posing, especially looking at the camera.

I would have loved having your access and working those scenes. You need to engage your imagination and think, “what is involved with this person’s work?” Then set out to capture those things as the work was being performed from start to finish, if possible.

Betty

Betty, those images of the portraits were taken as a HND student 31 years on medium format for my environmental portraiture brief so stock, or showing them in action working etc wasn't my aim. Totally different type of photography but after scanning them for my personal portfolio I thought why not place them here anyway, you never know, someone might purchase them for a particular need but thanks anyway.

Edited by Marb

10 hours ago, Marb said:

Betty, those images of the portraits were taken as a HND student 31 years on medium format for my environmental portraiture brief so stock, or showing them in action working etc wasn't my aim. Totally different type of photography but after scanning them for my personal portfolio I thought why not place them here anyway, you never know, someone might purchase them for a particular need but thanks anyway.

Ok, understood. Yes, if one has good images from before joining agencies, by all means use them. You never know.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Typo

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ok, understood. Yes, if one has good images from before joining agencies, by all means use them. You never know.

I used a macro lens on my Nikon and I think the results were as good as any decent scanner. Its nice to be able to edit them in Lightroom too as in those days you had to get it right first time. I don’t think I could cope with that now.

4 hours ago, Marb said:

I used a macro lens on my Nikon and I think the results were as good as any decent scanner. Its nice to be able to edit them in Lightroom too as in those days you had to get it right first time. I don’t think I could cope with that now.

I need to try that with my Fuji X-T2. I have a nice macro. I have a lightbox. I guess the main thing would be rigging up something to stabilize the camera. I have trannies. I’m so very un-technical, though, I’m sure I’d muck it up or go 😜.