Hello, recent member here

GP Essex

Hi, Thanks. I do more than just railways as a subject, some classic cars, agricultural, and trying some general stock images as well. Used to do news journalism back in the 1990's, come back to it recently, latest book was out last autumn, some magazine work in the offing, it's all changed a lot since I was last doing it though! (But at least I don't have to spend hours in a darkroom anymore...)

Welcome, you certainly are a one stop source for all trains, railways and motor vehicle imagery. I must admit, when times permits, I do enjoy a wander around the railway museum at Didcot, sometimes clambering into the pit under engines for long exposure shots of their underside.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Scenebyrail said:

Hi, Thanks. I do more than just railways as a subject, some classic cars, agricultural, and trying some general stock images as well. Used to do news journalism back in the 1990's, come back to it recently, latest book was out last autumn, some magazine work in the offing, it's all changed a lot since I was last doing it though! (But at least I don't have to spend hours in a darkroom anymore...)

Hey my friend,

I would be happy to go back to the "Darkroom" in exchange for the hours, days, weeks, months and years spent looking at this screen....

In any event, I would suggest including more information, on the autos, about model and years.  I do on occasion photograph rare or high-end

vehicles and I include all of the information I can get or find and my vehicle images are licensed often.

Best,

Chuck 

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Hey my friend,

I would be happy to go back to the "Darkroom" in exchange for the hours, days, weeks, months and years spent looking at this screen....

In any event, I would suggest including more information, on the autos, about model and years.  I do on occasion photograph rare or high-end

vehicles and I include all of the information I can get or find and my vehicle images are licensed often.

Best,

Chuck 

OK, good point, thanks, will do. 
Personally never enjoyed darkroom work, though I know many people do. 

To add to Chuck's wise words, remember to keyword everything. I know how easy it is to overlook simple words. I was looking at your image of the Class 37 jobbie (stop me if I get too technical) at Kidderminster and you should add eg, " train, trains, locomotive, locomotives, engine, engines, old, vintage, classic"....A knowledgeable buyer might search on "Class 37 jobbie" and will see you photo but another might be looking for "old train" or "vintage locomotive", and will not. If photography is an art, keywording is most definitely a dark art. Its worth including plurals too as a buyer may search on "classic trains" which is just a generic term, not necessarily meaning "more than one classic train".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scenebyrail said:

OK, good point, thanks, will do. 
Personally never enjoyed darkroom work, though I know many people do. 

Unlike many, I used to love the smell of fixer. It was good obtaining the finished print, but can never compete with modern digital. Now the darkroom is mainly the domain of some enthusiasts. Time has moved on.

• Love 1

On 07/09/2019 at 03:31, Colin Woods said:

To add to Chuck's wise words, remember to keyword everything. I know how easy it is to overlook simple words. I was looking at your image of the Class 37 jobbie (stop me if I get too technical) at Kidderminster and you should add eg, " train, trains, locomotive, locomotives, engine, engines, old, vintage, classic"....A knowledgeable buyer might search on "Class 37 jobbie" and will see you photo but another might be looking for "old train" or "vintage locomotive", and will not. If photography is an art, keywording is most definitely a dark art. Its worth including plurals too as a buyer may search on "classic trains" which is just a generic term, not necessarily meaning "more than one classic train".

Ok that's really useful, thanks. I've read various bits about keywording, and have tried to include what I thought was relevant, as well as detailed captions - I've noticed quite a few images on Alamy where the captions are really vague, and tried to not do the same.

I have found that you can get a few useful bits of info from the DVLA vehicle check website, namely make and year of vehicle, if you have the reg number.