Ever decreasing licencing fees

On 30/08/2019 at 18:14, David Olsen said:

Here in Hawaii the local TV news stations daily use photos submitted by viewers in their newscasts.  They don't pay anything but you get to see your photo used if they like it.  I have to admit I once sent them a photo of surfers on a large wave I got a kick out of them using it and talking about it.  The local newspaper here the Maui News does the same thing and will use your photo if it is newsworthy and not pay anything.  Just curious if this is the case in other locations as well.

Photographers in my area have been made redundant and the local papers now use free images submitted by the public. I know its a nice thing to see an image in print, but think about those who may then eventually lose their jobs because of it .. picture quality suffers as well, as the papers accept lower quality and poorly composed images. Not trying to be nasty, I do understand, but just putting forward the other side to this ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan Brown said:

As some here will know, BBC Weather uses photos sent in by their faithful 'weather watchers' to illustrate their TV reports and the quality of the photography is usually dire. Apart from anything else, I really don't need to know what it looked like in someone's back garden in Newport Pagnall half an hour ago. Trying to turn the weather into news this way creates a stream of photographic mediocrity.

Up here in Yorkshire the quality is often very good. I often wonder why people would give such good quality photos away for free.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan Brown said:

As some here will know, BBC Weather uses photos sent in by their faithful 'weather watchers' to illustrate their TV reports and the quality of the photography is usually dire. Apart from anything else, I really don't need to know what it looked like in someone's back garden in Newport Pagnall half an hour ago. Trying to turn the weather into news this way creates a stream of photographic mediocrity.

To be honest, from an image point of view, I quit like it. And it lifts the dire news features a little towards the end ... (just my personal opinion :) )

• Like 1

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Image Size: Any size
Start: 31 July 2019
End: 31 July 2024
One use in a single editorial article used within the digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article

$ 4.74

Used in the Scottish Sun Online

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 13 February 2019
End: 14 February 2019
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

$ 8.82

Used in the Times

In the past couple of months, the price $4.70 for online and $8.80 in print is consistent.  Unfortunately, this is the reason I have moved to a more suitable agency.